Cloud-based services revolutionized IT, creating a fundamental shift in the way businesses consume compute, storage, and networking. The emergence of open IaaS marketplaces will provide IT with the same degree of agility and choice in the way they acquire those resources, and it could be every bit as revolutionary as the initial move to the cloud.
Through the application of financial and economic principles and methodologies to IT infrastructure, these marketplaces pave the way for new technical and financial products and offer a path toward more efficient, cost-effective service delivery. These marketplaces could completely redefine the IT purchasing structure, and necessitate entirely new delivery structures.
Marketplaces will also bring new risks and responsibilities. Market manipulation, a loss of quality control, staffing and integration, and the specter of government oversight are among the serious concerns for compute consumers struggling to understand the shifting landscape.
Join GigaOM Research and our sponsor 6fusion for “IaaS marketplaces: The impact of utility computing,” a free analyst roundtable webinar on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. PT.
Key topics of discussion:
- What are IaaS marketplaces and how do they operate?
- What are the inhibitors to IaaS marketplace adoption?
- What lessons can we learn from previous marketplace failures and successes?
- What is the role of IaaS brokers and what new products will they develop?
- What is the impact of potential government regulation and oversight?
- How will IaaS marketplaces affect staffing, operations, and cost?
Who should attend
- IT decision makers
- Cloud service vendors
- Systems Integrators