RESEARCH IN THE WORKS:
GigaOm is currently working on a new security-focused report: Robotic Process Automation in Digital Transformation, A GigaOm Market Landscape Report by Analyst JP Morgenthal. If you are interested in being featured in this report contact GigaOm and we will reach out right away to discuss including your solutions in our research.
In their report “What ‘digital’ really means,” Mckinsey & Company define three key activities: Creating value at new frontiers, creating value in core businesses, and building foundational digital capabilities. For most businesses these activities will all entail driving efficiency, reducing human involvement in repetitive, low-value activities, and becoming more agile in implementing (and terminating) new business initiatives and their associated processes.
For now, Robotic Process Automation (RPA) sits smack in the middle of these actions. RPA tools vendors have grown at a phenomenal pace over the past five years and the trajectory seem to continue on in this manner. However, does RPA just have a limited lifespan as businesses transition away from their legacy to a digitally transformed landscape or are they a long-term critical component of our next-generation architecture? This report will explore the role of RPA in a larger digital and IT automation strategy.
- Who can best leverage RPA tools in the enterprise?
- How does RPA fit in the IT automation and digital transformation agenda?
- Where is RPA headed post-transformation/ modernization?
Considerations for adopting the solution:
- Should you automate or redesign?
- What are the downsides of using RPA tools for automation?
- What role will RPA tooling play in your IT automation strategy: central or supporting?
- In what ways does RPA help companies in using artificial intelligence to alleviate the need for human intervention?
Vendors participating in this category provide a platform for transforming human-led activities into digital, computer-based activities. This can be through emulation, screen capture, image-to-text conversion, voice-to-text conversion, etc. Additionally, these activities should be able to be scaled (multiple instances running simultaneously) and scheduled as well as be executed in response to an external event.