The key building blocks of a modern IT organization include a highly flexible infrastructure, an automated software delivery life cycle, and a devops-driven IT organization. These capabilities are essential to ensuring that IT remains relevant in an era of continuous change to customer-facing services and automated business operations.
This report focuses in particular on OpenStack as an underlying cloud platform to support this new type of organization. In addition, it examines a handful of ecommerce and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) providers and the challenges these companies seek to solve by adopting a more agile software development and deployment process using OpenStack.
Key issues this report addresses are:
- Defining the continuous delivery (CD) approach
- Deploying the cloud as the CD infrastructure: public to private
- Choosing OpenStack as an infrastructure platform on which to build a private cloud
- Addressing the benefits and disadvantages of the OpenStack community
- Moving toward a continuous delivery model to reap the full benefits of a cloud platform
- Defining the role of devops
- A new approach
- Highly flexible infrastructure
- Why OpenStack?
- The OpenStack community matures
- Highly flexible software-delivery life cycle
- MercadoLibre’s approach to continuous delivery
- Highly flexible IT organization
- The future of OpenStack and continuous delivery
- Key takeaways
- About Jo Maitland
- GigaOM Research