- Which features received the most mentions?
- The new camera: helping Apple sell more phones?
- Availability on Sprint cheered by many
- Better performance will help Apple sell more iPhone 4S models
- To buy or not to buy
- Negative reactions: 4G — or lack thereof
- About Paul Singh
- About GigaOM Pro
Since Apple’s announcement of the iPhone 4S on Oct. 4, 2011, SocialNuggets, a company that provides social media analytics for consumer electronics, has been analyzing the social media conversation around the device. The aim is to determine which announced features of the iPhone 4S received the most mentions and what that means for the device’s overall success.
Key findings in this research note include:
- Three of the iPhone 4S’ features — the camera, Siri and the device’s simultaneous availability on Sprint, AT&T and Verizon — command over 55 percent of the total social media discussion.
- With its higher MP, better lens and 1080P video, the new camera will convince many iPhone users to upgrade.
- Sprint is getting the lion’s share of discussion and evoking many positive reactions in social media conversations.
- Over 70 percent of reactions to Siri are positive.
- Better CPU, antenna design and graphics are popular reasons for many users to upgrade.
- A lack of support for 4G is the biggest problem for the iPhone 4S and will cause many on the Verizon and Sprint networks not to upgrade.
- On the whole, 69 percent said they would purchase the iPhone 4S, while 31 percent said they would not.
This report presents visual representations of this data and findings, and it also provides the quotes of individual social media users from over 70,000 discussions analyzed from Twitter and various blogs between Oct. 4 and 7, 2011. For reasons related to privacy, we have withheld the names of individuals.