Mobile-device management, app wrapping, secure storage, file sharing, secure app containers — the enterprise mobility management (EMM) puzzle has a lot of pieces. Stitching them together is so painful that few companies have followed through. They’re wasting precious hours and losing money, and the time for that kind of behavior is over.
When it comes to EMM (and particularly the ever-present bring-your-own-device [BYOD] trend), there are plenty of success stories. For most businesses, however, it hasn’t delivered. Small businesses that actually need BYOD aren’t securing or managing anything, and while enterprises have spent millions of dollars on EMM software, most of it sits unused because making the pieces work together still proves difficult. The result? IT is still the bad guy, and no one is getting anything done.
This Sector RoadMapTM will examine the market for managed mobility services (MMS), a group of IT and business services that addresses the acquisition, provisioning, and support of mobile devices as well as the strategic planning that defines the use cases surrounding those devices. It will evaluate the viability of different approaches to disruptive forces in the MMS marketplace and provide guidance to executives and IT decision-makers considering a move.
- Number indicates company’s relative strength across all vectors
- Size of ball indicates company’s relative strength along individual vector
Source: Gigaom Research
Key findings in this Sector RoadMap include:
- MMS covers five stages in the mobile lifecycle: strategy, planning, provisioning, management and support, and end-of-life for devices and contracts.
- More than 85 percent of businesses are currently outsourcing or would consider outsourcing a portion of their mobility strategy to an MMS provider.
- The MMS market is complicated with substantial overlap and “co-opetition,” in which direct competitors each service portions of the other’s contracts.
- Globalization, leaner value-focused mobility, and consumerization will be the most widely disruptive trends of the next 24 months.
Thumbnail image courtesy of DeanDrobot/Thinkstock.
- The MMS market
- Disruption vectors
- Company analysis
- Key takeaways
- Appendix A: extended vendor analysis
- About Cormac Foster
- About Gigaom Research