In its annual end-of-year tradition, Instagram has released the places in the world users capture the most with the filter-friendly app. Last year, the big question was “Why is a shopping mall in Thailand Instagram’s most photographed place in 2013?” The answer had more to do with a Thai cultural proclivity towards obsessive photo sharing then it did with the mall itself.
This year the number one location is no surprise to anyone: The Happiest Place on Earth. Disneyland topped the list after coming in third the last two years. Other returning champions include Dodger Stadium (#8 in 2013 and #7 in 2012), Times Square (#2 in 2013), and Thailand’s Siam Paragon shopping mall (#1 in 2013 and #2 in 2012),
New entrants include Gorky Park and Red Square (Moscow, Russia), the Louvre (Paris, France), Madison Square Garden and Yankee Stadium (NYC), and Dubai Mall (Dubai, UAE).
Although international places have appeared in Instagram’s most popular list since its first version in 2011, their dominance in this year’s list suggest that Instagram is scaling beyond America, becoming popular enough in other parts of the world that foreign locations are photographed more than American landmarks like the Bellagio, Disney World, and Central Park (which were #4, #5, and #7 respectively on the 2013 most popular places list, but didn’t make the 2014 cut).
Without further ado, here’s the top ten list of 2014 with some pretty photos to boot.
Top Geotagged Locations of 2014 on Instagram
1. Disneyland, Anaheim, California
2. Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, California
3. Times Square, New York, New York
4. Siam Paragon shopping mall, Bangkok, Thailand
5. Gorky Park, Moscow, Russia
6. Musée du Louvre, Paris, France
7. Red Square, Moscow, Russia
8. Madison Square Garden, New York, New York
9. Yankee Stadium, New York, New York:
10. The Dubai Mall, Dubai, United Arab Emirates