Open-source platforms such as OpenStack, OpenShift and Cloud Foundry have emerged as the best and brightest platforms for networking, data storage, compute horse power and secure distributed infrastructure needs of enterprises big and small. These tools provide tremendous flexibility through the power of open-source innovation and their respective communities.
The overriding reason for using open source is to avoid vendor lock-in. Most businesses that are lured to open source don’t realize that there are almost 500 knobs that need to be tuned and set in place to build open-source-based IaaS and PaaS solutions. Furthermore, most companies do not have the technical expertise and resources to build open-source clouds. With the complexities and resource-intensive nature of open source and the reality that Cloud Foundry projects are too far out, production-ready options that provide a much higher return on investment (ROI) are an attractive alternative. CIOs like the less capital intensive nature of the no-compromise turnkey approach.
In this webinar, our panel will address these questions:
- What are the benefits and ROI of a turnkey IaaS and PaaS solution?
- What are the ideal use cases for utilizing a production-ready IaaS and PaaS solution?
- What are the key issues faced by enterprises who build and maintain their own infrastructure utilizing open-source technologies?
- What are the cost considerations associated with building and maintaining an open-source-based infrastructure?
- What can businesses learn from early adopters in the space?
- What are the cost considerations associated with building your OpenStack, OpenShift or Cloud Foundry platform?
- What systemic qualities to look for in your provider of IaaS and PaaS solutions?
- Why vendor lock-in should be a key requirement when selecting your IaaS and PaaS solutions?
- Barb Goldworm, president and chief analyst, FOCUS
- Marc Staimer, president and chief dragon slayer, Dragon Slayer Consulting
- Janakiram MSV, principal analyst, Janakiram & Associates
- John Derrick, CEO, Jelastic
Register here to join Gigaom Research and our sponsor Jelastic for “Turnkey IaaS and PaaS: business benefits of build vs. buy,” a free analyst webinar on Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at 10 a.m. PT.