Stay on Top of Enterprise Technology Trends
Get updates impacting your industry from our GigaOm Research Community
All of the initiatives highlighted in the “Making Data Matter” slideshow have one thing in common: They’re multipronged, data-driven approaches to solve old problems with new data-driven insights. A few of the results speak for themselves:
- Safer environment for NFL football players by decreasing on-field concussions
- Fewer left turns to make UPS deliveries greener and faster
- Brighter futures through more coordinated educational services
See the full slideshow of six innovative projects that make data matter.
Before any impact was possible, however, these innovators had to wrap their heads around the messy details of infrastructure planning, database integration and real-time availability to take full advantage of the data gems at their disposal.
There are typically three areas of focus that drive the success or failure of data mastery efforts:
- Faster processing speeds. Businesses looking to take advantage of real-time data processing need to arm themselves with the underlying hardware to support split-second data retrieval and enable faster time to insight.
- Efficient data storage. The relational databases and storage architectures of the past are often ill-equipped to handle today’s onslaught of unstructured data. Taking advantage of NoSQL solutions like Object Rocket’s MongoDB can dramatically reduce cost and complexity.
- Highly skilled team. Even with the best hardware and software, without the data skills and experience to put it all together, you’re destined for failure. Assembling the right team may include a combination of your on-site resources with service providers to fill skills and resources gaps.