As we prepare to welcome a new year, we at Mobile Future are continuing our annual tradition of taking under two minutes to memorialize another transformative 12 months in wireless. From the wearable devices sprouting up on our wrists to tablets outselling desktops and laptops to the royal baby celebrated around the world, 2013 featured truly remarkable mobile moments.
Let’s have a look, shall we? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGdlz16S1Ic.
Our mobile future is advancing at warp speed. Just as a connected refrigerator can track your grocery inventory, so have we made our list — and checked it twice — to bring you the highlights of a huge year for mobile. If you’re too busy catching up on The Walking Dead via the tablet you’re holding under your desk at work to watch our video – here are a few mobile tidbits to drop at your next holiday party:
- “Tweet” is now a word in the dictionary (as is “selfie”)
- Global mobile data traffic almost doubled this year
- 21 U.S. companies now offer 4G/LTE speed
- Eighty-eight percent of people use their wireless device while watching TV
- And, sorry ladies, one in eight men would choose a new iPhone over a girlfriend
While you’re at it, check out the top finishers in our new mobile innovation competition, The Mobileys.
What will 2014 bring to our rapidly expanding wireless universe? Odds are your mobile will know before you do.
–Allison Remsen, Executive Director, Mobile Future