Stay on Top of Enterprise Technology Trends
Get updates impacting your industry from our GigaOm Research Community
Think about all the tech products you’ve ever loved. Now think about all the products that have ever made you crazy. Chances are pretty good that it was design — buttons in the right or wrong place, apps with simple or bizarre navigation options — that either delighted you with that product’s simplicity or caused you to angrily throw that phone in the sock drawer.
We’ve gathered some of the finest minds in hardware, software, and services design today and tomorrow at Roadmap 2013 at San Francisco’s Yerba Buena Center for the Arts to talk about how important design has become to our maturing world of technology. For a little more background on why we think this is so important, check out this post from Gigaom founder and conference co-organizer Om Malik, or this post from his partner in crime, Katie Fehrenbacher.
We’ll update this post through each day with coverage of each session, and a livestream of the event can be found here. We hope you’ll join us for what promises to be another awesome year of interesting discussions about one of the preeminent forces shaping the future of the tech industry.
- The Noun Project is trying to build a pictorial common language
- One year after Facebook integration, Instagram relies on design by data
- We’re more or less stuck with email, so Mailbox decided to try and make it more useful
- How big data makes shopping online suck less
- How Tesla overcame the challenges of electric car design from the ground up
- Quip CEO talks the future of interfaces
- Why designers and developers need to be media agnostic
- In the future, your home will be your family
- 6 valuable lessons for entrepreneurs designing startups from Airbnb’s Joe Gebbia
- E-commerce experts: Delight your customers and they will delight you with sales
- Samsung exec: Pretty hardware is great, but in the end, it’s the services that matter most
- Top designers say Square, Fitbit, Rdio and Twitter are some of their favorite experiences
- “We’re longing for knobs to twiddle” — Here’s what bugs the Beats By Dre designer
- Why Moore’s Law doesn’t influence design these days: Less is “moore”
- How Jack Dorsey approached the payments market: As a buyer
- The age of robots is nigh, but humans need to understand how to interact with them
- Apple font “beautiful as typeface, totally sucks as an interface” — insights from a famous typeface designer
- Tinder CEO wants to make meaningful relationships apparent at a glance
- Nest CEO: New-school hardware startups still carry old-school baggage
- Remaking a city by rethinking its design
- Xbox One’s design: blending in with the living room and Microsoft tech
- Hardware startup incubator Highway1 now taking applications for its next class
- Google wants to build maps that customize themselves based on what they know about you
- Crowdfunding lets you test the market for your product before you even make it
- Are technologists trying to solve the wrong problem?
- The jobs of the future belong to data scientists and user experience designers