Stay on Top of Emerging Technology Trends
Get updates impacting your industry from our GigaOm Research Community
Smartsheet, a project and work management platform based on the spreadsheet user experience, announced integrations with Dropbox, and Zapier today. Dropbox is the well-known file sync-and-platofmr, used by millions. Zapier is an integration clearing house that allows users to connect participating applications in dozens of inventive ways. Smartsheet joins a long list of other products connected through Zapier, like Salesforce, Evernote, Paypal, and Jira.
Mark Mader, the CEO of Smartsheet, has a good insight into how the form factor of work is changing tool use in the modern business setting.
from the press release
“The idea of a one-stop, do-everything app is dead. People use many apps to get work done.”
Here’s some examples of the connections users can construct using the Zapier integration:
- When a new note is created in Evernote, automatically create a new task (row) in Smartsheet where due dates and reminders are established.
- Automatically create a lead in Salesforce when a user fills out a Smartsheet web form at a trade show or on a website.
- When someone makes a purchase via Paypal (or QuickBooks Online, Stripe, Recurly) create a new row in Smartsheet to track the transaction.
- As a new help desk ticket comes into JIRA (or Bugzilla, FogBugz, Zendesk, PivotalTracker) create a new project task in Smartsheet.
I reviewed Smartsheet most recently in May.
Clarizen has released v6 of the company’s work management platform, with a long list of improvements and refinements. I have recently got a demo, and plan to do a more extensive write up after exploring the tools features, but several aspects of v6 are compelling:
- Internal and External Social Collaboration: Clarizen user experience support cross referencing of information elements, like @mentions to refer to users and the use of #hashtags to link to information objects. This fluidity can lead to very rich social communication.
- Drag & Drop Resource Allocation: Clarizen is a work platform that also has strong project management capabilities. Clarizen v6 enables managers to assign – and reassign – users to tasks in a drag-and-drop manner. Project managers have visibility into what team members are working on, and reassign work easily.
As I said, expect a write up after some more research.