The WD TV Live player and the WD TV Live Hub can now be used to watch and record live broadcast television, thanks to added support for Hauppauge over-the-air tuners. Here’s a quick first look at the new feature:
|Previously on Cord Cutters:|
|Testing Boxee TV: First impressions, screenshots and unboxing video|
|Simple.tv, the DVR for cord cutters, reviewed|
|Our review of Vizio’s Co-Star Google TV box|
|Our review of D-Link’s MovieNite, a budget Netflix streamer|
|Our video review of the Nexus Q|
|Browse the show archive for a complete list of episodes, and subscribe to the Cord Cutters podcast RSS feed so you don’t miss any future episode.|
Show notes for this episode:
- Support for live TV viewing was added to the WD Live TV and the WD Live TV Hub with the latest firmware update (1.12.14). More info on that update can be found on the WD website.
- To watch live TV on the WD TV, users need to plug in a USV TV tuner adapter from Hauppauge. Officially, only two models are supported – but I found that the Boxee live TV dongle works as well.
- Check out our previous review of the WD TV Live.
- Also worth reading: Our story about Skitter, a service that streams live TV to WD devices.
- To learn more about over-the-air broadcast and DIY DVRs, check out our new e-book Cut the Cord: All You Need to Know to Drop Cable, which is now available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and iTunes.
Are you watching over-the-air TV? And if so: what does your setup look like? Please share your thoughts in the comments, get in touch with us on Twitter (@cordcutters) or email us at cordcutters @ gigaom.com.