We’re super excited to announce that the president of the Rhode Island School of Design, John Maeda, will be giving a talk on the future of design, leadership and connected culture at our RoadMap event taking place on November 5th in San Francisco. RoadMap is a day-long event that will take a deep dive into the idea of design in the age of connectedness, focusing on how user interfaces and user experience are the keys to delivering meaningful experiences in the connected age.
If you don’t know Maeda, he pioneered computer-based visual art at the MIT Media Lab and his work appears in the Museum of Modern Art. Now as the head of Rhode Island School of Design, he is pushing forward the boundaries of expression, design, connected culture and leadership. He’s given numerous TED Talks on themes like Designing for Simplicity, and his Journey in Design and recently wrote an article for GigaOM on how “design is both the insanely radical and the passionately incremental.”
In the year since the passing of Steve Jobs, design has experienced a moment — a renaissance. Walter Isaacson’s biography cemented the fact that Jobs’ unusually acute passion for both art and design within the tech industry was the key to its dominance today. Design-driven startups, including Rhode Island School of Design’s own Airbnb, are garnering much more attention in Silicon Valley and the more design-driven New York tech scene.
Design is emerging as a key focus for today’s web, mobile and gadget creators. That’s why at RoadMap we’re bringing together both the thought leaders who are creating tomorrow’s connected products, and those who are dominating the connected industry today. Speakers at RoadMap will include:
- Perry Chen, CEO, Kickstarter
- David Karp, Founder and CEO, Tumblr
- Ben Silbermann, Co-Founder and CEO, Pinterest
- Kevin Systrom, Co-Founder and CEO, Instagram
- Evan Williams, CEO, The Obvious Corporation
- John Maeda, President, Rhode Island School of Design
- Yves Béhar, Founder, fuseproject
- Stefan Olander, VP, Digital Sport, Nike
- Tony Fadell, Founder and CEO, Nest
- Dave Gilboa, Co-Founder and Co-CEO, Warby Parker Eyewear
- George Blankenship, VP, Worldwide Sales and Ownership Experience, Tesla Motors
- Alex Ljung, Founder and CEO, SoundCloud
- Katia Beauchamp, Co-Founder, Birchbox
- Steve Case, Founder, Revolution
- Paul Mascarenas, CTO and VP, Ford Motor Company Research and Innovation
- Oren Jacob, CEO, ToyTalk
- Jennifer Pahlka, Founder and Executive Director, Code for America
- Bobby Podesta, Head of Creative, ToyTalk
- Scott Wilson, Founder, MINIMAL
There’s a limited number of tickets, so buy yours now here. Come be inspired at RoadMap 2012 on November 5th.