With so many people writing about Apple, finding the best stories and reports isn’t easy. Here’s our daily pick of stories about the company from around the Web that you shouldn’t miss:
- Fortune reflects on what happened last time a company tried to build an iPhone competitor by stocking its roster with former iPhone engineers.
- If the varied metrics that hardware companies use to illustrate their phones’ popularity is confusing, do not miss Asymco’s helpful explanation of the definition of when a product is “shipped” versus “sold.”
- After appmakers were warned by Apple to cease attempts at gaming iOS App Store ratings, downloads dropped off a bit in the month of April, according to PCWorld.
- Ars Technica delves into how tech is changing healthcare, and among other innovations, how doctors are using iPads to explain procedures and diagnoses to patients.
- More hints that Apple is working on new mapping technology for iOS 6. BGR has images of what the supposed maps’ 3D rendering would look like.