Stay on Top of Enterprise Technology Trends
Get updates impacting your industry from our GigaOm Research Community
This is a response to demands to better manage the growing number of personally-owned gadgets being used for enterprise work.
In the press release, IBM describes how employees at the global medical device manufacturer ConMed Linvatec [s CNMD] used the IBM Lotus Notes Traveler app on iPad devices at a recent medical tradeshow: “The app allowed ConMed employees to demonstrate its medical devices, collect sales leads, and send product information to prospective customers right on the spot….” Dale Westrate, messaging systems architect for ConMed Linvatec’s Largo division is quoted in the release: “As a result of using IBM collaboration software on iPad devices, we generated more leads, and acted on them sooner, than ever before.”
IBM is offering a variety of new tablet capabilities (availability across platforms varies):
- Social networking for iPad
- Attend online meetings
- Instant messaging
- Access business documents
- Reduce calling costs
- Easier access to mail and calendar
They are also helping developers create mobile applications faster and improving the experience for the user:
- Tools to build mobile apps faster and better: IBM is introducing its Mobile Technology Preview on the developerWorks website.
- Tools to improve the Web experience for the user: The new software, IBM WebSphere Portal Mobile Experience, helps companies easily control the content, look and feel, and page navigation on mobile devices.
It’s exciting to see the software giant helping smooth the way for how people behave at work. Rather than putting information technology departments in conflict with their users, who are just trying to get their jobs done in times of tight resources, IBM’s approach enables natural behaviors to proceed with an enterprise-appropriate (e.g., greater security) infrastructure.