Stay on Top of Emerging Technology Trends
Get updates impacting your industry from our GigaOm Research Community
India is primed for renewable energy development: it’s got a large and growing population, many of them poor and about 404 million of them have no access to electricity. So much so that India’s national government has promised to install 20 GW of grid-tied solar by 2022 under a program called National Solar Mission.
Vineeth Vijayaraghavan is the founder and editor of a site focused on cleantech in India, Panchabuta, and here’s what he’s been watching, reading, and writing about this week:
- Solar developers want Indian Renewable Energy Credit scheme tweaked: According to the Hindu Business Line, “though the ‘renewable energy certificate’ scheme has been around for over six months, very few developers of solar power projects have opted for the REC scheme in preference to a higher feed-in tariff.” At the same time the publication reports that the November trading of RECs touched a new high both in volumes and prices.
- Suzuki to launch an electric car in India?: Japanese car company Suzuki is considering launching electric vehicles in India, according to various reports.
- ABB killing it with solar inverters in India: ABB announced that it has 90 MW worth of contracts for solar inverters in 2011. ABB explains its central solar inverter as “rated from 100 to 500 kW, is designed for multi-megawatt PV power plants and medium-sized power plants installed in industrial and commercial buildings.”
- Karnataka solar bidding comin’ soon: Karnataka Renewable Energy Development will open bidding for solar projects in Karnataka on Dec. 2. Tata Power, Khosla-funded Sunborne Energy & Kiran Energy will be among 22 bidders, reports Bloomberg.
- Suzlon building India wind bank: The Business Standard reports that Suzlon, the wind energy equipment maker, is set to acquire around 50,000 acres of land across eight states, to build a pipeline for future orders.
- Reva + solar: Mahindra Solar One, the solar arm of vehicle maker Mahindra & Mahindra, is in the process of developing a solar technology for use in electric car Reva, according to a quote by Vish Palekar, business head (cleantech ventures) of Mahindra Partners, in Business Standard.
- SunEdison to sell off solar projects in India: Solar power developer SunEdison is looking to sell off 49 percent stakes in seven of its solar projects in India, reports Business Line.
Panchabuta is dedicated to bringing the latest news, information and analysis in Cleantech and Renewable Energy Industry in India.
Image courtesy of Engineering for Change.