Looks like Groupon will go public on Friday morning at $20 per share, giving it a valuation of $12.6 billion for its online coupon business. That seems crazy high for a company with a massive amount of competitors and potentially questionable recurring value for small businesses (though what do I know? I write about energy). But I thought we could take that company’s valuation and compare it to some of the greentech startups and some of the big energy and oil incumbents.
- Fuel cell maker Bloom Energy is reportedly valued at almost $3 billion — a fourth of what Groupon is worth. (Fun tip: The NEA is a major investor in both.) Bloom Energy is trying to sell distributed cleaner power to companies and utilities.
- Electric car maker Fisker is reportedly valued at $2.2 billion, and Tesla Motors (s TSLA) has a current market cap of $3.38 billion. So they have almost a sixth of the valuation and close to a fourth of the valuation, respectively, of Groupon.
- Public biofuel company Kior (s KIOR) has a market cap of $1.63 billion, almost an eighth of the valuation of Groupon. Kior is making a biocrude from plant waste and energy crops using a technique from the oil industry.
- Algae oil company Solazyme (s SZYM) has a market cap of about $550 million. I’m not even going to do this math comparing it to Groupon because it makes me sad.
Things that have bigger market caps than Groupon: oil companies, conglomerates, big auto, big Internet
- Oil behemoth Exxon Mobile has a market cap of $377.98 billion, 30 times the size of Groupon’s market cap.
- Google has a market cap of $193.52 billion, 15 times the size of Groupon’s.
- GE has a market cap of $176.37 billion, about 14 times Groupon’s.
- General Motors has a market cap of $37.53 billion, just three times the size of Groupon’s.
- Building automation giant Honeywell (s HON) has a market cap of $41.72 billion, or three times the size of Groupon’s.
- Chemical giant Dow Chemical has a market cap of $32.98 billion, about two and half times larger than Groupon’s.
Big energy, utility
- Power company Duke Energy has a market cap of $27.71 billion, about double the size of Groupon’s.
- NRG Energy, which has invested a lot in clean power, has a market cap of $5.23 billion. Groupon’s market cap is over double that (getting disturbing).
- Itron (s ITRI) is one of the largest smart meter makers in the U.S. It has a market cap of $1.56 billion, or an eighth of Groupon’s (ouch).
Image courtesy of Futurilla