Kindle Fire details reveal no iPad competitor

78 Comments

Credit: Amazon.com

Amazon’s Kindle Fire (s amzn) is now a known quantity, thanks to details supplied to Bloomberg ahead of the official announcement at Amazon’s press event Wednesday. The Android-based (s goog) tablet has an attractive price, but to get there, it cut so many corners it probably won’t make much of a dent in Apple’s (s aapl) market lead with the iPad.

The Kindle Fire has a 7-inch display, no camera and no microphone. It can only connect to a Wi-Fi network, and there’s no built-in 3G connection. It also only carries 8 GB of on-board memory, with no options for memory expansion. These barebones features enabled Amazon to reach the Fire’s low price point of $199, while the Barnes & Noble Nook Color (s bks) costs $249, and the iPad begins at $499.

Amazon’s goal with this device is clearly to offer something cheap that provides enough features and functionality to appeal to the general public. The company also hopes that Amazon’s ecosystem of digital goods can help it bring in customers; it provides video on demand, e-book and music sales, and it can store much of that content in the cloud.

The problem is that Amazon hasn’t really unveiled much with the Fire besides a fairly basic delivery method for sales of its digital offerings. Limited storage means Amazon’s cloud services are almost a necessity for buyers, and yet the lack of 3G means that accessing content when you’re away from home will be difficult. The lack of both camera and microphone also mean that people can’t easily use this for taking or sharing mobile photos, or as a phone replacement with VoIP apps.

The new Silk browser tech that does much of the processing work on Amazon’s EC2 servers is also interesting, but again severely limited by the Wi-Fi-only network access. Amazon also didn’t talk about battery life, and a decision not to talk about it could mean it doesn’t compare favorably to the iPad’s all-day power.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos talked a lot about early skepticism in the media about the original Kindle’s chances at success at today’s press conference — skepticism that didn’t end up coming true. But the Fire is entering a different market on different terms. Bezos also noted that Amazon has a strong ecosystem, and that’s been a large part of its success, but that alone won’t make sub-par hardware appealing. Especially considering that Amazon’s streaming media services are generally U.S.-centric.

A fresh coat of paint on Android will help set the Fire apart, but repackaging an OS that’s already struggling to match Apple’s in terms of tablet success, and then putting it on hardware that’s basically a stripped down PlayBook (s rimm) isn’t a recipe for an Kindle-iPad killer.

The Kindle Fire could admittedly do well; it’s a very portable device with a smart UI that provides access to an extensive ecosystem, and I fully expect it to give the Nook Color a run for its money, or even bury that device. But what it won’t do is knock the iPad off its pedestal, not when it feels like yet another Android tablet rushed to market in an attempt to stem the tide of users to Apple’s ecosystem.

78 Comments

crescentdave

You really miss the point of this release. It’s a content delivery system and what it does- it does very well. It’s being offered at a great price point, offers a ton of content with the “prime” account and doesn’t require a service contract (the positive part of no 3g). It looks to be responsive. It has nothing to do with the iPad. As always, I’m impressed by the intensity of foaming some applets show with any other company’s releases.

james

First of all its amazing how people can base their opinion of fact based on their personal preferences. The two iPad models that account for most sales are the least expensive (no 3G) and most expensive models (this is VERY typical sales breakdown for Apple). For most people lack of 3G is not going to be an issue.

Second the new Kindle Fire (like all Kindles) is 100% for content consumption. Most iPad owners use their iPads primarily for consumption of content.

That being said I see if any any iPad owners jumping ship to the Kindle Fire. But I do see non-tablet owners taking a close look at this. While I agree that Android tablets have not been successful, they have failed for lack of content behind the hardware. This is simply not going to be an issue with Amazon. There are millions of non-iOS owning people out there. This is likely to be a good product for them.

As a person invested in iOS (iPhone) and a Kindle e-Reader owner, I am in the middle right now. Nice device, nice price, but I am still not sure I actually need a tablet. If I do get a tablet, it will probably be an iOS one simply for the investment I already have in universal iOS apps however if not for that investment, I am 100% sure I would choose the fire since all I would do is read books and browse the internet on the thing.

Peter

I am an ipad owner, and I will have agree and disagree with this opinion… Agree, because lack of microphone and camera, will limits its videocalling and skype / phonecall potential, which in general, the videocalling market from ipad / tablet has been growing… disagree will be about the lack of 3G argument, 3G is totally not necessarily… if you review the sales of ipad, most ipad sold are actually the wifi version… wifi version is always the version that is out of stock all the time during the initial couple month of the ipad and ipad 2 release… so clearly, the argument of lack of 3G show the author lack of understand of how most people actually use their ipad / tablet device… for most people, if they are mobile and traveling around or on the road, or commuting to work, etc, they will just use their iphone or other smartphone (like android), and leave their tablet in their bag… the places that the ipad / tablet are used, generally are in leisurely indoor settings, where wifi will be available anyway (I am talking majority here, of course, there will be a small occasion for small section of people who use it on the road with their 3G connect on their ipad, but generally speaking, this is minority as reflected by ipad wifi vs 3g sales)… Finally, battery life as show by playbook is not bad, so I am assuming the battery life of Fire will be about the same… I read somewhere online that the Amazon Fire has 8 hours of batter life, definitely less than the ipad, but sufficient for most daily use… One last point, the one area that I think Amazon Fire lack during their presentation is Email, Calendar, Address Book Apps… this is kind of important nowadays… but I think Amazon has said they are addressing that and will include apps to do that before launch…

mark

ecosystem? you keep using that word. i do not think it means what you think it means.

frd75

I don’t agree.My wife was all set to get an iPad for Christmas, saw all the film clips, and stories about fire on the web and decided she’d rather have a Fire. she said the Fire does everything she wants to do, or will as soon as the email app is added and will fit in her purse. It also has a higher pixel density than the iPad.

Miguel Clarke

erm… I messed up my comment. I meant to close with ‘don’t count out the Kindle Fire…’

Miguel Clarke

The Kindle Fire’s size is what I want, the Ipad is too big for me. This is a tablet for people who want to browse, email, and most importantly, read colour books. This means comics, photos, magazines. If you own an android 2.2 phone you can set up a Wifi network with 3G access to the internet in no time, so no issue not having 3G (even the 3rd or 4th model down the Samsung Android lineup can do this). Ipad is more powerful, better designed and with more of a ‘wow’ factor, but don’t count the people with a certain set of needs for whom the Kindle Fire might be a better fit.

Yours

I don’t agree with any of that, and there is a lot of apple fanboys here, why are you so obssessed with Apple??? Ipad was totally crap supported by apple fanboys, that nothing new…then they release the 3G version, and then the wtf version, and they ipod 2, and then ipod 2 4g, and then ipod 3, and apple fanboys will be buying all of them for the eternity…

So it seems pretty obvious to me that amazon is going for the same strategy…look at the previous Kindle, do they have good sells? Yes, the market targeted by amazon is not the apple or android fans, they are aiming for the persons that doesn’t care about “all the cool stuff” and they just want to read, surf the web once in a while and listen to their fav music…the 3G should be a must have…but even the all mighty ipad didn’t have it…at the beining..

Ram Kanda

Amazon’s offering is HUGE and it will hurt iPad sales (and I say this as a very happy and loyal iPad customer). The Kindle Fire will do almost everything an iPad does and at half the price. Sure there are some major differences, but these might not be a double price difference to most people. Books, movies, apps, music, browsing? All check! The marketing is also not too shabby because Amazon knows how to not sound like a pre-teen boy with his first erection in their advertisements (I’m looking at you, Every Android Phone Manufacturer).

Most of this is besides the point, however. Because Apple’s iPad doesn’t just compete with other tablets but with other discretionary spending, as it is a luxury product. So I can buy one person in my family an iPad OR I can buy six people $79 Kindles each.

I will continue to buy iPads for myself because I just love the first gen one I got and love the way Apple makes things, but Amazon knocked this one out of the park and they will be seeing a lot of my holiday spending.

AJ

Who cares, go read a real book and socialize with real people or go to the library. It’s just another way to separate you from your hard earned cash. Three years ago, these things didnt exist. Pick something or nothing and go about your lives. Neglect your kids and spouse by burying your face in yet another digital device and you’ll see the true face of this obsession play itself out in divorce, isolation and numbness and the decay of society and empathy. Someone needs to wake up and realize how far we’ve gotten away from things that truly matter.

Michael W. Perry

You said, “The new Silk browser tech that does much of the processing work on Amazon’s EC2 servers is also interesting, but again severely limited by the Wi-Fi-only network access.”

I fail to see how that won’t give the Kindle Fire an advantage in page load time (and perhaps battery life) when both it and an iPad are connecting via WiFi. And an iPad is going to be even slower when all that multi-linked spaghetti HTML comes via cellular.

Keep in mind that those who want cellular can add a MiFi-like hotspot for under a $100–for a total cost under $300. They get the provider of their choice and can also serve data to their laptop or smart phone. When using that Kindle Fire, the Silk browser should reduce their data use, saving money.

I was disappointed when Apple’s iBookstore didn’t give Amazon’s Kindle Store some healthy competition. Particularly at this price, it looks like Amazon is going to give Apple some serious competition. For many potential buyers, the Kindle Fire is 95% of what they want in a tablet for 40% of the cost. That’s very tempting, as is the smaller, coat-pocket-sized form factor for both on-the-go adults and parents with small kids.

The Fire’s greatest weakness is in apps. The epaper Kindle is woefully weak in that area. The Kindle Fire could be better, but that will depend on how easy it is to port Droid apps to a non-standard UI and how much effort Amazon devotes to creating a wide selection of apps, including calendar apps that sync and Dropbox connectivity. A lot of us don’t want to have no easy way to transfer documents but emailing through Amazon.

Hamranhansenhansen

Silk runs on Amazon’s servers, which means they have a complete record of everything you do on the Web. Not just pages you visited, but the exact number of milliseconds you stayed, what you clicked on, what text you entered, everything. It is the same as Opera Mini. No sensible person would use either of this services. It’s like giving permission for your carrier to record all of your calls onto their servers. Not just the times you called and numbers you called, but an audio recording of the entire conversations, stored indefinitely on your carrier’s servers.

> I fail to see how that won’t give the Kindle Fire an
> advantage in page load time (and perhaps battery life)
> when both it and an iPad are connecting via WiFi.

Even if Silk enables Kindle Fire to be milliseconds faster than iPad when fetching some Web pages, iPad is much faster than Kindle Fire in every other way. iPad has a faster SoC with a much, much, much bigger GPU (the biggest on any mobile,) and iPad runs native C/C++ apps, which run extremely efficiently and quickly, while Kindle Fire runs Java phone apps, which run much more slowly in a virtual machine. Also, Android in general is extremely slow compared to iOS. You see the 7-inch Android phones pushing 1.2GHz dual core and 1.5GHz dual core … most of the time, iPad runs at 700MHz to save battery and it still feels much faster than the Android devices.

The thing you have to do is pinch yourself and remind yourself that we have tablet phones, tablet media players, tablet readers, tablet PC’s, and graphics tablets. They are all tablets. They are all very different devices and use cases. The fact that you see “tablet $199” does not mean it says “iPad $199.”

Ryan

You’ve made the same points time and again and attempted to insult the intelligence of other posters by making comments like “duh” and “no sensible person would use either of these services.” I think we get your point, this is not an iPad. My friend, maybe it’s time for you to move on to something more productive or, if not, have a beer and try to relax for a moment.

Emily Williams

I am REALLY impressed with this. it is like the ipad 1, and if your like me, 8 gbs is PLENTY! especially since it comes with cloud. I find people so spoiled today, whining that they don’t have 3G. thats were computers/smartphones come in. Since I am always around wifi, this has
no effect on me. Overall, I am very impressed, and Im definatly going to get one.

MichaelBrianBentley

Amazon sells everything, but Fire’s goal is to sell content in greater volume. That means Amazon needs low price tags on kDevices. Fire is the result of what Amazon had to do in order to get the price point under $200. If Amazon could figure out how to make a color tablet for $99, they’d sell that instead. They want as many kDevices out there as possible, their entire market is based on cheap but capable readers and an excellent distribution system. It is not an iPad competitor, it has a different and more specific purpose, and will share the tablet market. Lots of businesses will find Fire to be highly complimentary to iPad just because of its much smaller size.

BongBong

BUT… for the home, school or away-from-home Wi-Fi user, this product will fill a market need. I think it will do just fine.

Krishna Chodavarapu

Oh cool, since you’re shitting on this device so much, you surely must have used it for a few days? I’m also impressed you came up with such an informed point of view (and were able to write it up and get it posted) within 2 minutes of the device being introduced. Good job.

Geek_riot

With the exception of no 3G, the hardware doesn’t seem that “sub-par.” Dual core, same ram as iPad 2, ips screen…

PXLated

Way too early to declare as even an iPad competitor…What’s the battery life?…Will “standard” android apps run on it?…etc. etc. etc.
It’s definitely a Nook competitor and probably a Google/android competitor and it will sell. But if you look at the whole iOS ecosystem, it pales in comparison. If I was Google though, I’d be real nervous.

Batman Jr.

Battery life is listed as “Up to 8 hours…with wireless off.” Since wireless operations are going to be fundamental to a lot of its major purpose (i.e., media consumption), I’m fearful the realistic practical battery life is going to be closer to 5 hours, which would really crimp the designation of the Fire as a “mobile” device.

Derek Footer

Amazon’s success with the Kindle points out why the Fire will fail. Kindle appeals to people who are interested in a single thing – reading books. My wife has one and loves it, despite my prodding her to get an iPad. It does what she wants, and she has a laptop for things I like my iPad for. The Fire is just a crippled iPad at a low cost point. A version that is more capable with all the integration with Amazon’s digital offerings could be a success, but this thing is a bastard child.

Rch

“The Fire will fail”? You’ve seriously missed the point of the Fire, and its sales numbers will soon show you that.

AppleFUD

Yeah, I bet you didn’t have a problem at all with the first gen iPad not having cameras, ports, etc. . . and the second gen ipad being gimped on ram, etc.

Way to be an apple shill.

person287

My guess, it will get around 1/3 of the sales of the iPad. Whatever it is, if you’re really cynical you’ll say it’s just apple fanboys buying whatever, if you think how I do it has just got the sheer amount and quality of apps that makes it great.
And to anybody who randomly says it’s not competing with the iPad, maybe it’s not competing on the same market with it’s price, but amazon is sure as hell going to be competing with apple on sales!

Linus

This seems extremely biased,… The fire will be attractive to everyone who doesn’t want to spend $500 on an iPad
The lack of camera is a bummer… Maybe v2.0

gridiron

The primary criticism seems to be (1) it doesn’t do what the ipad does and (2) it doesn’t have 3G-a criticism made several times. I don’t see (2) as a big problem for a couple of reasons, if you live in a city. Most of the time, you have access to a wifi network or can easily get it. Moreover, it’s pretty easy to get a mobile hotspot for the times that you don’t, which can handle several wireless devices (ipad, kids’ laptops, etc). And this for $200.

It’s not going to satisfy the apple fanboys, but I don’t think thats the target audience, any more than the kindle is an ipad substitute.

Idon't Know

Very few of the millions of people and thousands of corporations who buy iPads are Apple “fanboys”.

Caskey

I am an Apple Fanboy through and through and am an owner of an iPad myself. However, I do agree that this seems to be a bit biased. While reading it, I found it odd that the lack of 3G was mentioned so much.

That said, I think there is a kernel of fair criticism with regards to 3G and that comes in the argument about on-board storage. With only 8GB and not being expandable, the 3G argument is relevant. I have tons of media on my iPad, but that’s because I’ve got 64GB on-board. If I were the heavy media consumer, I would prefer more storage, or better access to the cloud (presumably with 3G coverage) The fact that Amazon is pushing their cloud services so heavily also says that access to that very cloud show be made readily available when wi-fi isn’t around.

Hamranhansenhansen

I think this review is actually exactly right on. Consider how excited we should be if Apple introduces a new iPod a week from now. iPods and Kindles just aren’t that exciting. And neither one has anything at all to do with the PC market.

The most important thing for people who buy this device to know is it is NOT an iPad. Too many reviewers are a making it sound like it is. Plus, a 7-inch screen sounds like 70% of a 10-inch screen, but it is not, it is 46%.

It isn’t doing Amazon any favors if people buy Kindle Fire expecting it to be an iPad. That is like buying an iPod touch and expecting it to be an iPad. The Kindle Fire can stand on its own as a Kindle. My only complaints about the Kindle were lack of color and touch, and they fixed both those things. But it is not even remotely an iPad.

Hamranhansenhansen

Google is 75% Macs. Apple fanboys!

And the 50% of iPad buyers who have 3G … what were they thinking? Don’t they know that is totally unnecessary? Didn’t they notice they weren’t using it?

I live in Silicon Valley and can’t get enough Wi-Fi networks to drop 3G.

Tom

You have to be kidding. This is going to be a HUGE competitor to the iPad. Amazon’s built in reputation makes that $199 price irresistable to all but the most stalwart of Apple fans. What do most people do with their iPads? Email/browse/Facebook. What can and will they do with the Kindle Fire? Exactly the same – cheaper, and I’m sure Amazon’s preparing plenty of popular games to be played on Fire. It’s a big threat. I’d buy one if I didn’t have an iPad – and it will be a serious consideration when I think about a new one.

Idon't Know

Exactly. From what I had been hearing this didn’t sound like a competitor but after watching some videos it certainly is. I pre-ordered one. I expect I will have an iPad and one of these for some time to
come. The Kindle Fire can be left around the house to be used by wife and kids whenever they want. Not nearly the capabilities of an iPad but enough of what most people do to be a killer product.

harry

I have zero interest in a tablet, but since it’s only $199 I said screw it and preordered one. I’ll pay a quarter to see two cats fuck.

Hamranhansenhansen

That is just ridiculous. The device that you have in your mind right now that you are calling “Kindle Fire” is nothing like the actual device.

Ted T.

“vast majority of iPad users own the wifi version”
In some alternate universe maybe. The split between WiFi & 3G iPads is about 50/50.

What the Fire will do is kill other Android tablets plus RIM’s Playbook, very, very dead.

Hamranhansenhansen

So you are betting that the demand for 3G will go down? It’s not an important feature anymore? It’s being phased out?

Look, you can put a motorcycle next to a car and say they compete with each other because they both enable you to get 60 miles down the road in an hour, but the reality is that people do not go shopping for a motorcycle and end up buying a car, or vice versa.

iPad is a PC. It competes with other $500 PC’s in the low-end $500 PC market, and it is not only competing well with the other PC’s, it is MURDERING the other PC’s. People who are saying iPad is not a PC sound like raving lunatics. 80% of iPad buyers said they bought it instead of a notebook PC, and 10% of iPad buyers said it is the only PC they have ever owned. That is 9 out of 10 buyers who thought they were getting a PC, and iPad has 90% satisfaction so I guess they really did get a PC. If you know the technology, inside an iPad is a PC class core, a PC class app platform, a PC class screen, and an almost-PC class GPU … they put by far the biggest GPU ever into an ARM SoC. It’s sole function is: “run PC apps.” Apple removed the mouse interface from Keynote, put on touch, now it runs on iPad. Same with iMovie and other PC apps.

Kindle Fire competes with iPod touch. One is book-heritage, and one is music-heritage, but Kindle now also does music, and iPod now also does books. They both sell with Wi-Fi only for about $200 and they both run phone apps and they both have cloud services and they can both do Web and email but neither of them is going to get you through a workday without a PC.

DG

How can you say this is no iPad competitor. It’s a device that delivers all kinds of media in a very user friendly efficient manner. From that point of view and it’s very competitive price, it’s definitely going to cut into iPad sales. I love my iPad but they have a winner here.

Hamranhansenhansen

It is no iPad competitor because it does not sell in the same market, or even the same part of the store. It does not have the same use cases. It does not even have the same form factor. You cannot take the iPad out of a user’s hand and put a Kindle Fire in there and they go on about their day doing all the same things.

iPad is a PC. It sells in the low-end $500 PC market, where it is murdering all comers. This quarter, not only will it be the best-selling PC, but iPad by itself will outsell all of HP, who were the #1 PC maker 2 quarters ago.

Kindle Fire is a reader, a high-end reader. It’s like an iPod that is focused more on books than music. It sells at the same price point as iPods. It runs phone apps, like iPods.

Amazon cannot physically make enough of these to cut into iPad sales. If it is a huge hit and they make them as fast as they can and sell them immediately, it will still not be a blip on the iPad radar. You are off by like an order of magnitude.

HILK

“iPad is a PC”.

So does that make the iPod Touch a PC?
Because they pretty much have exactly the features like apps, camera… (the iPad having only a few features more eg. 3G).
The new Windows 8 OS on tablets is a different story.

Luis

@andrewrhysjones I use my ipad2’s cameras very much…it’s the best FaceTime/Skype platform there is, and having friends living in different parts of the world, FT/S is the best way to keep in touch with them.

As to the Fire…I think it’ll hit the Nook much more than the iPad…my major gripe with the Nook was the price…the fire hits it better…I think I may even buy one for Xmas for my wife so she’ll leave my iPad alone :)

andrewrhysjones

Sure, the camera is very useful for some people. But I just believe the majority of people don’t use it.

Some people won’t buy the Fire because they want a camera, but millions of people will still buy it because its not important to them.

Laughing_Boy48

Pundits said the iPad was crippled when it was first introduced and maybe in some ways it was when compared to a Windows netbook or notebook computer. However, this Fire tablet is crippled even when compared to the average tablet. However… Wall Street and investors are very happy due to the low, low price and bundled content. Go figure. Jeff Bezos has played Wall Street’s game again and initially won for shareholders. For his sake, I sure hope the quality of the Fire tablet is up to par and the content is worth getting.

Hamranhansenhansen

The thing is, 80% of iPad buyers bought iPad INSTEAD of a notebook PC. That doesn’t sound right if iPad is crippled compared to a notebook. And in fact, when you ask them why they bought an iPad instead of a notebook, they say, “because iPad does MORE.” PC tasks are only a small subset of what iPad does.

ML

A bit harsh in your assessment. I don’t think this is going to kill the ipad or anything like that, but not everyone wanted or could to plunk down $500 for an ipad. Instead of trashing the kindle fire, I think you can admit that a $200 tablet with these capabilities is going to be pretty attractive to a large segment of the population and sell millions. Of course the kindle fire will have limitations, but I think you are missing the bigger picture.

Imofanopinion

Exactly I do not need a camera or microphone nor want one with a tablet. I have a DroidX, laptop, PC etc. As a 50+ I find it hard to have “fun” with the DX even if it is a larger cell phone. I do not need my tablet to be a phone as I love my Driod but at my age it is too small to do the things I want a tablet for. I want something to take on outings etc that I can read ebooks, play games, stream videos and check e-mails. If I can get this for $200 you bet I will.

NO multi touch what is this??
7″ multi-touch display with IPS (in-plane switching) technology and anti-reflective treatment

Glad there are such staunch IPad lovers but believe it or not – NOT EVERYONE actually wants a IPad!!! I do not NEED one nor ever planned on getting one, my simple desires are as stated above and why pay $500 or $700 for a Zoom to get it. If you already have Amazon Prime you get streaming video. For people not looking for much more then what I am, this is definately affordable.

So yes I have put in my pre-order and look forward to November!!

andrewrhysjones

Don’t really agree with this.

Most people don’t care about specs (although it is dual core, and how many people use the camera on the iPad?), they care about UI and features. This offers most of what an iPad does, but at half the cost.

The iPad isn’t dead, of course, and Apple will still sell a lot of them. Amazon will also sell a lot of Fire’s, to different customers.

I’m very impressed with the Fire. If I didn’t already have an iPad, I would probably get one.

Laughing_Boy48

Why do you find the Fire very impressive? Because of the content or because it costs only $199? I’m just curious since you use the term impressive. I would say it’s function is satisfactory, but hardly impressive.

andrewrhysjones

I’m impressed by the amount of functionality for the price of the device.

Idon't Know

This doesn’t come close to offering most of what an iPad does. But at less than half the price it does enough for most people. Consume media, email, web, a few apps, even if they are crappy Android apps. Close enough at less than half the price. It just killed the other android tablets though. Either those companies will drop android or fork it themselves but they don’t have the content amazon has.

Hamranhansenhansen

It doesn’t even offer 1% of what an iPad offers. It does not have 3G, which is on half of all iPads, and it does not run PC apps, which is iPad’s primary feature. It does not have multitouch, which is often what sells the device.

> I’m very impressed with the Fire. If I didn’t already have
> an iPad, I would probably get one.

You’re impressed, but you don’t want one? Great endorsement.

I very much doubt Amazon expects any iPad users to replace their iPad with a Kindle Fire. They might hope iPad users also get a Kindle Fire, and I think many, many more will do that than give up their iPads.

andrewrhysjones

> You’re impressed, but you don’t want one? Great endorsement.
I didn’t say I don’t want one, but I don’t need two tablets, and there is nothing the Fire does that the iPad does not.

Conversely, there isn’t a lot the iPad does that the Fire does not. For what I would use it for (videos and games for my daily commute, and sofa-surfing), the Fire would great.

> It does not have multitouch
Didn’t realise this, but that will harm many games.

> I very much doubt Amazon expects any iPad users to
> replace their iPad with a Kindle Fire.
Exactly. This is aimed at first-time tablet buyers.

(I also did not upgrade to iPad 2, but I was still impressed with it when I went to the Apple store and tried one.)

billy

give the guy a break…jeeze its gonna meet most consumers needs-IPAD lovers get over it…this is gonna kick ass…Apple stock down 8 points in two days since the announcement..hmmm…

crescentdave

“It doesn’t even offer 1% of what an iPad offers.” Is that the same percentage for the 50% of iPads that don’t offer 3G? :) Where did you get “it doesn’t have multitouch?” Because it does. Are we above 1% yet? Where did you get “It doesn’t run PC apps?” Because it does. Are we above 1% yet? :) And how on earth did you write a post with so many errors?

Arjun

Bah – no 3G – no buy. I would’ve picked it up in a flash if it had 3G. The whole point of a tablet is increased mobility. Whats the point otherwise?

andrewrhysjones

I suspect 3G’s coming in the next year. Not too long to wait ;-)

Greg Scott

For Amazon the strategy might be more clever then simply providing a cheaper tablet. After Amazon sells a few million of these in 2011 they’ll have a loyal folloiwng. A following wishing they could have just a few more features e.g. 3G, camera etc. Then Amazon comes out with Fire 2 Fire 3 etc . The initial low price is just a way to quickly get into the market.

http://www.cordcutterguide.com/kindle-fire.html

Comments are closed.