Carmageddon is upon us! This weekend, Los Angeles will close down its 405 freeway, which is one of the main routes for Angelenos to go from north to south and anywhere in between. And if you’ve ever been stuck in L.A. traffic — even when all the freeways are open — you know that things are going to be bad when one of the most important roadways is closed. Really, really bad, thanks to a car-centric transportation system that has been on the verge of collapse for years.
Or maybe everyone will just go green and stay home, if only for a weekend? Authorities in Los Angeles have been asking celebrities like Lady Gaga, Ashton Kutcher and Kim Kardashian to tweet about the closure and get people prepared. Airlines have been offering highly discounted flights within Los Angeles, and L.A. major Antonio Villaraigosa has been encouraging people to leave their cars at home entirely. Will it work? Well, we’ll all have a chance to find out, thanks to a number of live streams:
- Caltrans is sharing several traffic camera live streams from freeways around Los Angeles, with each feed switching between cameras every few seconds. Check out multiple cameras along the 5 and 60 freeways, multiple cameras along the 10, 105 and 605 freeways, multiple cameras along the 101 and 110 freeways as well as multiple cameras along the 134 and the closed-off 405 freeway.
- ABC 7 Los Angeles streams its newscast live at 4p.m. and 7p.m. PT.
- Fox LA streams various shows including its morning program Good Day L.A. and its Fox 11 news show online. (4:30a.m. to 11:30pm)
- This one was inevitable: Hitler rants about Carmageddon.
- If you need something more calming: This is the L.A. major explaining why the 405 will be closed.
- Social navigation app maker Waze is trying to promote its product by drumming up support for the Carmageddon Resistance.
- Maybe L.A. authorities should have gone with this video instead: Carmageddon the Movie would scare me enough to stay home altogether.