The folks at Egnyte, the file management, sharing and backup service I wrote about a couple of months ago, have released a survey indicating that over 80 percent of small business professionals plan to work over the holidays. Here are a few more statistics from Egnyte’s survey, which was conducted in October 2010 and received over 500 responses:
- 80 percent will work in their home office, while 31 percent will work at the home of an extended family member, and 31 percent will work while on the road. Only 24 percent plan to work at the office over the holidays.
- 83 percent said they plan to access work data using a smartphone, with the iPhone, Android and BlackBerry leading the pack for the most popular devices.
- Nearly eight in 10 (79 percent) will use their device “when they can get away with it” this holiday season; 12 percent will use it during the drive to Grandmother’s house. Thankfully, only four percent will check it at the dinner table.
For those who are working from their smartphones, Egnyte is now offering an Android app, which joins the existing iPhone and iPad apps, to enable users to access and share files while on the road (or during the holidays).
The Android app has some nice features, shared with Egnyte’s web app, such as being able to:
- Create notes
- Manage different versions of the same document
- Email documents as attachments or links — links can be set to expire after an interval of your choosing.
Egnyte’s Android app is now available in the Android Market at no charge. The Egnyte service is available at several price levels, beginning at 20 GB of online storage for $14.99 per month, through 1 TB of storage for $49.99 per month. A 15-day free trial is available.
Will you be working during the holidays?
Related content from GigaOM Pro (sub. req.):