Adobe (s adbe) today announced Acrobat X, the latest iteration of its family of PDF creation and reading tools. PDF authoring tool Acrobat gets several new features designed to improve business collaboration and productivity, including:
- Automate routine, multi-step tasks with new guided Actions that can be shared with coworkers.
- Change how users interact with content and its context with PDF Portfolios using new layouts, visual themes and color palettes.
- Microsoft SharePoint (s msft) integration. Check-in, check-out PDF files for reviewing and editing shared documents.
- A streamlined process for large organizations to deploy, configure and manage updates and conform to ISO standards, including support for Microsoft SCCM and SCUP.
- Updated user interface: Display the most commonly used tools all in one pane.
Reader X will introduce support for PDF documents that contain a much wider range of content types, including drawings, email messages, spreadsheets, videos and other multimedia elements. It also has new collaboration features: Users can make notes and share feedback by marking up PDF documents using the Sticky Notes and Highlighter tools. Other new features in Reader will include:
- Choose reading mode to fit more content on the screen, or two-up mode to view page spreads.
- Directly access online services at Acrobat.com from within Reader X. Perform common tasks such as creating PDF files, securely sharing and storing documents and screen sharing.
- Availability on additional mobile platforms, with support added for Android (s goog), Windows Phone 7 (s msft) and BlackBerry Tablet OS (s rimm).
Acrobat X is available to pre-order now; Reader X will be made available for download next month.
Related content from GigaOM Pro (sub. req.):
- Are You Empowering Your Mobile Workforce?
- Report: The Real-Time Enterprise
- How to Manage Consumer-Grade Collaborative Tools in the Workplace