Apple (NSDQ: AAPL) said today that starting next month it will be funneling all of its mobile advertising efforts into iAd — a mobile ad network that works exclusively for the iPhone and iPod. As part of the decision, the Quattro ad network that it acquired earlier this year for a reported $275 million will be shut down.
Apple informed customers today by posting a statement on the Quattro Wireless homepage, which looks entirely shut down except for the text. The company is no longer accepting any new campaigns for the Quattro Wireless Network and says it will soon wind down existing campaigns. On Sept. 30, “we will support ads exclusively for the iAd Network.”
The reason seems entirely to be a resource decision. Just recently, it was reported that iAd was having a hard time fulfilling all of its commitments and was experiencing delays. As a result, high-end luxury retailers, like Chanel, have decided to hold off participating. In contrast to iAd, before Apple bought Quattro, the ad network ran campaigns on all platforms.
“We believe iAd is the best mobile ad network in the world, and starting next month we’re going to focus all of our resources on the iAd advertising platform,” the statement said. BusinessInsider.com has the e-mail that is being sent around to Quattro customers.