Everyone has things they are waiting for — for some it’s a Wham! reunion tour, for others it’s an Eddie Murphy movie that’s actually funny, or a personal jetpack like we were promised in Popular Science magazine (seriously, where are those things?). For much of the technology world, it’s a Facebook IPO, which we’ve been told won’t be coming for at least another year and a half or so. What are some of the others? Here’re a few we came up with — some tongue-in-cheek and some not. If you have any great additions to the list or thoughts about it, please add them in the comments.
* Spotify’s U.S. Launch: The music-streaming service continues to toy with the emotions of U.S. residents who are increasingly desperate to use it. There is even a website devoted to chronicling the anticipation of this blessed event.
* A Verizon iPhone: In much the same way that the magic “Apple Phone” was drooled over for years before its actual launch, iPhone users in the U.S. continue to await a phone that actually works — i.e., one that doesn’t use AT&T’s network.
* A Popular Microsoft Product: With a track record that includes the “Bob” interface, Clippy and the recently euthanized Kin phones, this one seems like a long shot — but hey, people can hope, can’t they? Next up: a Microsoft tablet. Woo-hoo! (P.S. The Xbox is the exception that proves the rule).
* A Twitter That Works: Despite the millions that have been thrown at the social network, the “Fail Whale” and repeated ratcheting down of API limits continue. Possible explanation: Twitter engineers are using AT&T iPhones to keep track of their servers.
* Bill Gates’ Return: Ever since the “Monkey Boy” video, not to mention the lackluster stock performance of the software behemoth, there has been a rising chorus of calls for Ballmer’s ouster and the return of Emperor Palpatine… er, Bill Gates. Keep dreaming.
* A Google Social Network: Yes, we know that you and your brother-in-law love Buzz, and your Aunt Sally is crazy about Wave. Some of you even know people who like Knol (which may or may not be deceased) and are hopeful about Google Me. Our advice? You need to get out more.
* A Chatty Apple: Look, Apple just doesn’t like to tell people things, okay? Sometimes it’s about Steve Jobs having cancer, sometimes it’s things about stock options or the real truth behind the antenna thing. It’s none of your business, so stop asking.
* Micro-payments: Remember Beenz? How about Flooz? Whoopi Goldberg tried to sell that one for awhile. The tech sector has been waiting for micro-payments for so long that the original plans involved using ASCII text and the Gopher protocol. Still waiting.
* Han Solo’s Arrest: The evidence is incontrovertible — Solo shot first and killed Greedo in cold blood in the bar on Mos Eisley. There shouldn’t be any need for further debate. Of course, finding the outlaw starship pilot could be difficult, but that doesn’t mean we should give up hope.
We’ll leave it up to you to decide which of these are serious and which are meant to be humorous. Let us know your favorite dreams-in-waiting.