Bad news, basketball fans. Most marquee activities from this year’s NBA All-Star Weekend will be shown live on TNT and ESPN, and won’t be available on the Web. That includes the Slam Dunk contest, the All-Star Celebrity Game, and of course, the All-Star Game itself. But Turner Sports, along with the NBA, is giving fans a taste of the weekend’s activities, with a full day of live video on Friday and mobile coverage throughout the weekend.
The 2010 NBA All-Star Weekend kicks off Friday, Feb. 12 with a ton of streaming content available live through NBA.com. The league will provide more than 12 hours of live video Friday, including the Rookie and Sophomore Game practice, two hours of All-Star interviews, and the All-Star Press Pass look at the weekend’s activities.
Fans will also have “backstage pass” access to player activities during the weekend through NBA All-Star Scene. For that site, the NBA has given Cisco (s CSCO) Flip cams to players and celebrities to provide a behind-the-scenes look at major events as they happen. Videos will be posted in near real time. In addition to NBA players, musician Michael Bivins (Bell Biv Devoe) and actor Christopher Mintz-Plasse (“McLovin” in Superbad) will also upload videos in the All-Star Scene section.
On the mobile side, NBA Mobile will give fans access to live coverage from NBA TV through apps that are available on the Android Market and in the iPhone App Store. The NBA will also sell a 99-cent app on both platforms that will give fans access to the Sprite Slam Dunk Competition on Saturday, Feb. 13. Access to live feeds from the contest will be available at 10 pm ET on Saturday night.
The NBA All-Star Game will be broadcast from Cowboys Stadium in Dallas beginning at 7 pm ET on TNT.
Friday, Feb. 12, 2010 on NBA.com:
- 10:30 am – 12:00 pm ET – Rookie/Sophomore Practice
- 12:00 pm – 12:30 pm ET – Hall of Fame Nomination Announcement
- 12:30 pm – 1:00 pm ET – GEICO H.O.R.S.E. Challenge
- 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm ET – NBA GameTime: All-Star Interviews
- 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm ET – The Jump on NBA.com
- 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm ET – The Beat
- 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm ET – All-Star Press Pass
- 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm ET – NBA.com Fantasy Insider
- 8:00 pm – 9:00 pm ET – At The Break
- 9:00 pm – 10:00 pm ET – Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown
- 10:00 pm – 11:00 pm ET – D-League Dream Factory presented by Haier
Saturday, Feb. 13 on NBA TV:
- 11:30 am ET – 2:30 pm ET – All-Star East and West Practices
- 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm ET – 2010 NBA D-League All-Star Game
- 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm ET – Commissioner Stern’s NBA All-Star Media Interview
Sunday, Feb. 14, 2010 on NBA TV:
- 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm ET – NBA Legends Brunch
- 4:00 pm – 4:30 pm ET – The Beat
- 4:30 pm – 5:00 pm ET – All-Access with Ahmad
- 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm ET – NBA All-Star Pre-Game Show