Apple finally took the wraps off of its hotly anticipated tablet — dubbed the iPad — today, at a live event held in San Francisco. In addition to Om live-blogging the event for TheAppleBlog, our network of sites is hard at work reviewing this potentially game-changing device from every imaginable angle. We’ll update you with coverage as it comes in — from both across our network as well as the web — and in the meantime, have also gathered some of our posts written in the past week or so.
|What the web is saying:|
|AppleInsider: The hardware has many of the same capabilities of the iPhone and iPod touch, including an orientation sensor for switching between portrait and landscape modes, and multi-touch capabilities. The device even looks akin to a large iPhone.|
|Gizmodo: Don’t worry, friends! The hundreds of dollars you’ve spent on fart apps will not have gone to waste with the Tablet: it can fart, too. Just smaller, and in the middle of the screen.|
|Bloomberg.com: With the tablet, Apple gets a new category built around its iTunes software and store. That gives the company a fresh way to attract consumers, video-game makers and other application developers, as well as publishers looking to capitalize on their content.|
|CrunchGear: All the naysayers can feel free to eat their hats. Today Apple finally revealed the device we’ve all been whispering about for a good year or more.|
- Apple Introduces the iPad [UPDATE: Now With 3G! And a Price! And a Date!]
- iPad Development Made Easy
- The Apple iPad — What You Need to Know
- Video on the iPad: HD, But No Flash
- Third Parties Already Developing for Apple’s iPad
- iBooks App & iBook Store
- iWork for the iPad: Productivity On-the-Go
- Will the iPad Kill the Kindle? In a Word, Yes
- The Apple iPad’s Green Grade: B
- Apple iPad Poll — Are You Buying It?
- Thoughts on the iPad — Just Push the Buy Button, Says Apple
- Justifying the iPad: The Single Discordant Note in Steve’s Presentation
- iPad Accessories Detailed: Keyboard Dock, Case & More
- Get Ready for the iPad to Change the Way You Watch Video
- Photo Gallery: January 27 iPad Event
- My Early Impressions of Apple’s iPad & a Quick Hands-on Review
- Apple iPad: Good for Web Working?
- Does Apple Have It In for AT&T?
- GigaOM Pro Research: How AT&T Will Deal with iPad Data Traffic
A sampling of coverage leading up to today’s unveiling:
- 7 for 7: 7 Posts in the 7 Days Prior to Apple’s Jan. 27 Media Event
- Apple Tablet Odds: What We’ll See Today
- Alan Kay: With the Tablet, Apple Will Rule the World
- What an Apple Tablet Must Have
- The iTablet: Let a Thousand Content Apps Bloom
- Signs Point to an Apple iPad, New iPhone OS
- How Green Will Apple’s Tablet Be?
- The Apple Tablet: What It Needs to Be Useful for Web Working
- Memo to the Publishing Industry: Forget About the iSavior
- 10 Features That Would Make iPad a Hit