From the EA Mobile web site:
Take your band on the road with 20 legendary songs from great bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Lynyrd Skynyrd & the Beastie Boys, all delivered with the highest, MP3-quality sound.
Rock out solo on lead bass, drums, guitar & vocals, or start a band with other rockers from around the world! Jump into Quickplay for casual jam sessions, or take it on the road in Tour Mode in EA Mobile’s ROCK BAND!
The big-brother version of Rock Band (for major consoles such as the XBOX 360 and PS3) requires the use of mock instruments, which lends a certain sort of verisimilitude to the gaming experience — that is, so long as you can ignore the Thunderbirds-style avatars and the fact that you’re not actually playing an instrument, you’re just thumbing buttons on a plastic stick. Oh, and you absolutely must be prepared to ignore how foolish you and your friends look while you’re doing it. But that’s really all part of the appeal of Rock Band. It’s supremely silly and mountains of fun.
Obviously the iPhone’s 320×480 pixel capacitive touchscreen is hardly reminiscent of a Stratocaster. Without the faux-instruments, Rock Band for iPhone offers an unavoidably watered-down gameplay experience. In short, it loses the original feel of Rock Band. Instead, it becomes a clone of the hugely popular Tap Tap from Tapulous, which was first released in the App Store way back in September 2007.
Rock Band for iPhone and iPod touch launches with 20 songs (listed below), and it’s probably only a matter of time before more tracks are made available via in-app purchasing. If you’re a fan of Rock Band and want a complete collection, you’re probably already firing up iTunes to get it. Otherwise, take a look at the bundled songs and decide whether there’s enough here to warrant hitting that Buy App button and parting with $9.99.
- Attack – 30 Seconds To Mars
- Girls Not Grey – AFI
- Move Along – All American Rejects
- Sabotage – Beastie Boys
- All The Small Things – Blink-182
- Hanging on the Telephone – Blondie
- Learn To Fly – Foo Fighters
- Everlong – Foo Fighters
- Bad to The Bone – George Thorogood & the Destroyers
- Hymn 43 – Jethro Tull
- Bad Reputation – Joan Jett
- Simple Man – Lynard Skynard
- Ace of Spades ‘08 – Motorhead
- Debaser – Pixies
- Ladybug – Presidents of The United States of America
- Give It All – Rise Against
- Lazy Eye – Silversun Pick Ups
- Cherub Rock – Smashing Pumpkins
- Take The Money and Run – Steve Miller Band
- We Got The Beat – The Go Go’s