We first heard about the unique hybrid Touch Book from Always Innovating back in March, and as always with unique new concepts, we wondered if it would really see the light of day. We are happy to see that the Touch Book is in production and should start shipping next month. This hybrid is an 8.9-inch slate tablet with an optional, snap-in keyboard, making for a laptop configuration.
The slate is Linux powered and has an 8 GB SSD and 512 MB of memory working with a TI OMAP3530 processor. This sounds anemic, but it should actually run decently and for a very long time on a battery charge. The Touch Book is only $299, while the optional keyboard is $99.
- 9.4″ x 7″ x 1.4″ for 2 lbs (with keyboard)
- ARM Texas Instruments OMAP3 chip
- 1024×600 8.9” screen
- Storage: 8GB micro SD card
- W-Fi 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth
- 3-dimensional accelerometer
- Speakers, micro and headphone
- 6 USB 2.0 (3 internal, 2 external, 1 mini)
- 10+ hours of battery life