Site News

New Research: Opportunities in LEDs

There’s been quite a bit of talk lately about the role that information and communication technologies can play in helping slow global warming. The United Nations is the latest organization to jump into the game, estimating that IT could help reduce up to 40 percent of global greenhouse emissions. How? By helping eliminating inefficiencies in other industries and technologies.

It’s what Intel calls the “2 percent, 98 percent” rule: Operating IT equipment generates 2 percent of global emissions, but it can be used to help reduce the other 98 percent. Today, we’re publishing “Opportunities in LED Solid-State Lighting,” our first Research Note in a three-part series from GigaOM Network Analyst Katherine Austin, looking at opportunities for silicon-based technologies to do just that.

Austin notes that lighting uses more than 20 percent of energy generated worldwide, but that traditional incandescent technologies convert just 4-6 percent of that energy into light. The rest is wasted as heat. While compact fluorescent lights, or CFLs, have been the front-runner technology to replace incandescents with a more efficient alternative, new advances in LED technology could put solid-state lighting into a growing number of commercial and residential applications.

In the 11-page report, Austin outlines the trends driving change in the LED market and identifies several opportunities, particularly for semiconductor companies, to help address challenges the market still faces, including bringing down cost and further improving the efficiency of both LED lighting and its manufacturing process. Check out the full report here, and let us know what you think!