On a recent podcast episode James, Matt and I each mentioned the iPhone (s AAPL) applications we use on a daily basis. Among several others, I explained that I use the USA Today application for quick doses of news, sports, local weather and business information. I probably hit the software three or four times a day because I don’t watch the news on television. Strangely enough, I used to watch news on TV, but I stopped after installing this app.
Google (s GOOG) Android owners can now get their news fix with an official USA Today for Android application in the Marketplace. Unlike some of the other national news and information software I’ve tried in the past, the USA Today application offers quick updates. And the handful of tabs at the top make it very simple and fast to navigate. That’s a huge plus to me as I usually want to catch a quick glimpse of what’s happening when I have a few minutes here and there.
USA TODAY LAUNCHES APPLICATION FOR ANDROID MOBILE PLATFORM
News, Weather, Photos and Interactive Polls Available
McLean, VA. (May 13, 2009) — USA TODAY, the nation’s top-selling newspaper and a leading online destination, today announced the availability of a USA TODAY application on Android Market.
“In the rapidly expanding mobile marketplace Android is a great platform for USA TODAY,” said Matt Jones, vice president of mobile strategy and operations for Gannett Digital. “USA TODAY continues to develop innovative mobile products and services and the Android application is an excellent way to extend our reach to the latest emerging platforms.”
USA TODAY’s application leverages the familiar look and feel that readers trust and expect from the USA TODAY brand; it provides access to the latest news stories, weather, photos and interactive polls. Easy to navigate, colorful and convenient, USA TODAY for Android offers the following features:
· Headlines — Browse and read stories from News, Money, Sports, Life, Tech and Travel. Articles can be shared via email, text message or Twitter, and are automatically saved for later reading.
· USA TODAY Snapshots® — Scan through USA TODAY Snapshots®, and vote on an interactive poll question for each. Review responses from all users and filter the results by state and city.
· Scores — Review the latest sports scores for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, college football and college basketball. College scores can be filtered down by conferences.
· Weather — Get current weather conditions, up-to-the minute regional radar and the five day forecast at your exact location via GPS. Review national weather maps including Doppler radar, temperature and precipitation forecasts.
· Photos — Flip through the day’s best images from news, sports, celebrities, science, travel and weather or play them back as a slideshow. Share favorite images with friends via email.
The USA TODAY application also features support for a variety of rich media mobile advertising executions including click-to-call, click-to-maps using the user’s GPS location, and video. Campaigns can be targeted to the various sections such as News, Money, Sports, Life, Tech or Travel. The USA TODAY application for Android was designed and developed in cooperation with Mercury Intermedia of Brentwood, Tenn.