An over-the-top gossip snarker. A 15-year-old phenom. A famous blogger who launched into video. A series played out entirely on a computer desktop. These were the shows and stars who rose to the top of the web in 2008, earning their way onto NewTeeVee’s Top 10 Breakout Video Stars of 2008.
We on the NewTeeVee Team constructed our list of Breakout Stars with an eye for those who had made their name on the web — no Rosario Dawsons here — and had propelled themselves to the fore in the last year, whether by fanbase, hype or pushing web video where it hadn’t gone before. We consulted with expert advisers such as (former) Internet Superstar host Martin Sargent and UTA Online talent agent Barrett Garese. And we are bringing most of these amazing creators, either in person or digitally, to our NewTeeVee Live conference on Thursday.
They are, in alphabetical order:
- Matt Bledsoe and Troy Hitch, Creators, You Suck at Photoshop
- Michael Buckley, Host, Writer and Producer, What the Buck
- Brian Conley, CEO, Small World News
- Lucas Cruikshank, Partner, FEE Entertainment and Creator, Fred
- Felicia Day, Creator, The Guild
- Jake Hurwitz and Amir Blumenfeld, Creators, Jake and Amir
- Xeni Jardin, Host and Executive Producer, Boing Boing TV
- Jessica Lee Rose, Actor, Sorority Forever, Hooking Up, Blood Cell
- Jay Smooth, Producer, Editor and Host, Ill Doctrine
- Gary Vaynerchuk, Creator, Wine Library TV