More copyright headaches for Google (NSDQ: GOOG) and YouTube… Italy’s MediaSet says it is suing the video site for at least 500 million euros, claiming the standard complaints about illegal distribution of commercial audio and video files. The firm joins Viacom (NYSE: VIA) and France’s TF1 in making the claim. Already, Spain’s Telecinco, which is owned by MediaSet has filed suit against the video sharing site. In response, YouTube offered up a pat ‘we respect copyright’ statement, according to Reuters. In addition to representing a new front in its ongoing fights over copyrighted material, this is Google’s second recent setback in Italy. Last week, Italian Prosecutors said they would charge four Google execs for failing to monitor content, including a video of youths taunting an autistic classmate. MediaSet was founded by Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi.
Bloomberg:”According to a sample analysis run by Mediaset on June 10, at least 4,643 videos belonging to the company were found on YouTube. That equals more than 325 hours of broadcasting without corresponding rights, the company said. Mediaset claims that, based on the number of its clips available on YouTube and the hits generated, the broadcaster lost the equivalent of 315,672 broadcasting days.”