I fired up front row the other day for the first time after getting a Time Capsule, and sure enough my Time Capsule movies weren’t indexing. I first tried using the settings inside of Front Row to map the folder, but there was no mapping option available. Next I tried making an alias of my movies folder on my Time Capsule, and putting it in my local movies folder…and it worked!
To play movies in Front Row from your Time Capsule (or any networked or external hard drive) follow these instructions:
- Download and installPerian (this let’s quicktime play divx and avi’s)
- Navigate to the folder where all your movies you want to play are
- Right click on the folder and select “make alias”
- Drag the alias into your local movies folder
- Fire up Front Row, and navigate to the “Movies” section. Inside the movies section you should now see the alias folder with all your movies inside!
I took it one step further, and made an alias for my TV shows too, so I could easily find and watch. Please help me in my quest to create my ultimate mac media center and post anymore fun Front Row tricks to the comments. Thanks!