I have a fairly large music and movie collection, and a fairly nice TV/stereo setup in the family room. To watch my movies and listen to my music on the good TV and stereo I could hook my Macbook Air up to the TV each time, but who wants to do that? Fortunately, we have an Xbox 360 in the living room that we can use to stream everything to.
I have found several different pieces of software for OS X that allow the Xbox 360 find OS X based computer’s media, but hands down the best one is Connect360.
Things I like:
- Can stream divx – this is a new feature and it totally rocks!
- Can point to a specific movie folder – instead of simply streaming iTunes content
- Can view all of your iTunes playlists
- Can adjust how often it scans your libraries – that way everytime you add media you don’t have to restart the software
Additionally, Connect360 can pretty much handle any format you throw at it:
- AAC, Apple Lossless, WMA
- MP3, WAV, AIFF
- H.264, DIVX, XVID
- MOV, AVI, WMV, ASF
- JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, BMP
So if you want to stream your media from your mac to your living room and have an Xbox 360 then definitely make the $20 investment into Connect360. I absolutely love it!