Who says MTV doesn’t play music videos any more? It just plays them online. To be more specific, MTV.com, VH1.com and CMT.com served up 1.2 billion streams in 2007. Music videos raked in half of those company record-breaking plays.
A good chunk of that traffic was driven by the morbidly-curious taking in Britney’s disastrous performance at the VMAs, but other women who weren’t lip-syncing badly and forgetting their choreography dominated the top ten music videos across the networks.
- “Gimme More (Live),” Britney Spears
- “Girlfriend,” Avril Lavigne
- “Umbrella,” Rihanna
- “Glamorous,” Fergie
- “Big Girls Don’t Cry,” Fergie
- “This Ain’t a Scene, It’s an Arms Race,” Fall Out Boy
- “Fergalicious,” Fergie
- “The Sweet Escape,” Gwen Stefani
- “Candyman,” Christina Aguilera
- “Don’t Matter,” Akon
Might 2008 be the year MTV gets its groove back? With Fergie appearing three times in the top ten, “cool” might not be the best word — but the aging network is definitely finding some of its old mojo online.