Stay on Top of Enterprise Technology Trends
Get updates impacting your industry from our GigaOm Research Community
Sun Microsystems is changing its ticker symbol from SUNW to JAVA in order to better reflect the company’s role in new network infrastructure, and maybe — just maybe — to give its shares some added juice. (CEO Jonathan Schwartz gives his reasons on his blog.) Here’s 10 companies that we think could use an extreme ticker makeover.
1. Apple (AAPL) to (JOBS) in homage to their feared and revered leader, Steve Jobs.
2. Sprint Nextel
(FON) (S) to (XHM) since they are betting the farm on their WiMAX networks.
3. Qualcomm (QCOM) to (MMOB) since almost everyone is suing them, just like the mob back in the 1980s.
4. AT&T (T) to (IFON) because we all know what is juicing their market share and revenues.
5. Yahoo (YHOO) to (NOGO), which is short for Not Google. You could also take it literally.
6. News Corp (NWS) to (TOM) — after all, who doesn’t want to be MySpace Tom’s friend?
7. Motorola (MOT) to (RZR), because they’re hoping for lightning to strike twice.
8. Vonage (VON) to (GON). Yup, the VoIP service providers are falling like flies.
9. Microsoft (MSFT) to (LIVE) on Nasdaq and (WIN) on NYSE. It’s in keeping with their brilliant branding strateg(ies).
10. Viacom (VIA) to (SUX). No commentary needed.
GigaTeam had a fun time brainstorming these, but we’d love your suggestions. Help us out in the comments.