[qi:053] PricewaterhouseCoopers and the National Venture Capital Association just released their VC investments data for the second quarter of 2007, which reinforces what most already know: funding is flowing like a river raging after a monsoon.
* Venture capitalists invested $7.1 billion in 977 deals in the second quarter of 2007, which is the highest level of deals reported in a quarter since Q3 2001.
* Based upon the first half of 2007 data, this year may see a new 6-year high in VC investments.
* $1.6 billion was invested in 378 seed/early stage deals in the second quarter compared, up from $1.3 billion into 289 deals in the first quarter of 2007. That works out to 39% of total deal volume.
* Internet-specific companies got $897 million (160 deals) in the second quarter down from the first quarter when $1.4 billion went into 177 deals.
* U.S.-based venture capitalists invested $408 million into 34 deals in China while 18 deals in India got $119 million.
* Big ticket investments in the 2Q 2007 included Calix Networks, Joost, and Telsima.