I have seen this on several Apple blogs recently. Apple has a job posting calling for a Handwriting Recognition Engineer. The wording of the solicitation is very interesting indeed:
Title: Handwriting Recognition Engineer
Req. ID: 2379263
Location: Santa Clara Valley, California
Country: United States
Req Date: 11-Aug-2005
Are you passionate about providing handwriting solutions to end customers? Do you strongly believe that using a stylus and a tablet is the way to interact with computers?
Apple Handwriting Recognition team is seeking an engineer who will be responsible for advancing gesture and handwriting recognition on Mac OS X. The ideal candidate will be an expert in the area of pattern recognition, with an excellent understanding of handwriting recognition issues. The person will also assume primary responsibility for maintaining existing code and tools.
* Expert in the area of pattern recognition
* Strong design and analytical skills
* Strong coder with experience in C
* Ability to write quality code and ship quality products
* Ability to manage several concurrent projects
* Track record of innovation and excellence on previous assignments
Additional Desired Skills and Experience:
* Well versed in the area of handwriting recognition
* Knowledge of and experience with neural network algorithms
* Experience with Unix and familiarity with Mac OS X
* Knowledge of Cocoa or Carbon (with desire and ability to learn the other)
* Excellent communication skills
PhD or a minimum of 5 years experience
Notice the call for someone who “strongly believes that using a stylus and a tablet is the way to interact with computers”. Interesting.