I have written about Outlook Skype in the past which integrates Skype calling with Outlook. I have known for weeks that the Skype people noticed how useful this third party application was and they apparently bought it up from the developer for a future release. Marc Orchant is reporting today that Skype has released the Skype Toolbar for Outlook which is the same program released under the Skype umbrella. Note that the add-in is still in beta so there may be some issues. Features reported on the Skype Developer Zone:
- Easily match individual outlook contacts to Skype contacts.
- See Presence, start calls and chats for all known message senders direct from the toolbar.
- See presence, call and chat to all outlook contacts known to Skype.
- Create Outlook contacts direct from incoming email.
- Use Skype to Call all Telephone numbers for Outlook contacts.
- Use Skype to call and chat with all other known contacts in the Cc and To message headers
- Record journal entries for all incoming Skype calls
- Use Skype to call telephone numbers and even Skype names in the body of Email messages
- Start group chats from email messages where topics are automatically set the to the email subject
- Automatically add Skype callto signatures to outgoing email messages.
- Import contacts to Skype direct from Outlook.
- Open Outlook contact automatically for incoming calls.
If you are both a heavy Outlook and Skype user as am I then give it a whirl. There are also a number of other free Skype enhancements in the Skype Developer Zone.