Just a little note about the new Podcasts feature in iTunes: it’s really cool. For a while now, I’ve been listening to Leo Laporte’s KFI Radio Podcast, so it really interested me when I found that I could plug in his podcast link into iTunes, and it worked! Really well!!
I didn’t like the way that programs like iPodderX and NewsFire handled everything, since it was cluttered, and didn’t feel very Mac-like in my mind, for various reasons. But iTunes ties it all together, and makes it simple. (Hmm. Maybe that’s what, subconsiously, I didn’t like about the other programs)
If you aren’t familiar with Podcasts, or are curious about this whole thing, try these steps:
1. Download the new iTunes (of course)
2. In the Advanced menu, click on the “Subscribe to Podcast…”
3. In the field that pops up, put in the URL for your favorite podcast. Or, if you don’t know of one, just try Leo Laporte’s – http://feeds.feedburner.com/kfi
4. Press Okay. Obviously.
5. You’ll see the podcast link in the Podcasts page (under the Library page link in the Sources list)
6. Just click or press play to hear the episode of the podcast that you select.
It’s really nice to be able to listen to a radio show or something that you wouldn’t otherwise hear. Apple provides many of the higher-quality feeds from their Music Store, in a new “Podcast” section. Check it out.