We all know how well cable operators are doing in the VoIP space, and how effective they have been in stealing business from bells, but it wasn’t up until a recent report from Pike & Fisher’s Broadband Daily, did I realize their dominant market position. Here are some numbers at the end of first quarter 2005, as tabulated by PF’s team.
- Total VoIP additions: 383,204 in Q1 05
- At the end of Q1 2004, total cable voice subscribers were around 2.5 million
- They have 3.5 million phone customers.
- Cox Communications, added over 111k, to bring its total to 1.4 million. (Does this include circuit switch connections? I don’t know)
- Comcast, since most of its 1.23 million subscribers are using old circuit switched technology.
- Cablevision has 373,482 subs and only about 9,000 are non VoIP
- TWC had 372,000 voice subs
- Charter has total of 55,300
- Insight has 68,600.