Apple have released the final operating system upgrade to Panther before Tiger hits the shelves. It weighs in at a 51.3mb download, and is available now through Software Update. If you prefer, you could also download the Delta Update Installer to your hard drive to install at your convenience.
It addresses many problems users have had with the current version, and updates applications such as Stickies, Safari, and Finder to give enhanced compatibility and reliability. Read on for the full list of changes from Apple:
This update offers many reliability and compatibility improvements. These are just a few of the enhancements and improvements included:
- Addresses an issue in which Stickies could unexpectedly quit when creating a new note.
- Addresses an issue in which new Stickies are invisible.
- Stickies windows can now be minimized (an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.4 through 10.3.8).
- Accessing certain websites, such as msnbc.com, mail.yahoo.com, ticketmaster.com, and others, no longer displays a "bad server response" alert that could occur in Safari.
- Addresses an issue in which "safe downloads" files are not automatically opened after downloading.
- SSL webpages (pages with URLs that start with “https://”) load faster in Safari.
- Adds some important Verisign root certificates to Safari, allowing you to connect to certain secure websites that you might not have been able to surf before.
- Adds other trusted root certificates to Safari, such as VISA and RSA.
- Addresses an issue in which copied files could become fragmented (but still usable) when you copy more than one file at the same time in the Finder.
- Addresses a rare issue in which a file could become damaged when copying to a FAT16- or FAT32-formatted volume.
- Improves reliability when mounting (making available) a disk image that’s larger than 4.7 GB.
- Addresses slow vertical tracking and intermittent trackpad behavior on PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.5GHz, 15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz, and 17-inch 1.67GHz computers.
- Adds an "Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.32)" modem choice that you can use if you have difficulty using Verizon’s Airfone Jet Connect service.
- Addresses an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.6 and later in which the Calculator window won’t appear if the Speak Button Pressed or Speak Total options are enabled.
- Fixes an issue at the login window, where clicking the small space just below the bottom user account picture would produce this alert:
"Internal Error *** -[NSCF Array objectAtIndex:]: index(-1) beyond bounds (X)" (where X is the number of user accounts shown).
- Addresses an issue in which the startup time in Mac OS X 10.3.6 through 10.3.8 may be extended if a large number of PostScript fonts are installed.
- If your PowerBook G4 sometimes wakes up with a kernel panic, installing this update may help.
- Addresses a data loss issue that could occur when syncing your iDisk at the same time that .Mac servers are experiencing heavy usage.
- Avoids a potential Mail issue if the application is running when Daylight Savings Time changes.
- Addresses some formatting issues that could occur when replying to HTML messages in Mail.