This position will be the lead editorial role at the publication, with ultimate responsibility for all editorial employees. The Editor in Chief will set editorial policy and strategy, improve our journalism, establish and enforce a strong editorial vision and voice, and be involved in daily news gathering and editing. Working closely with the Managing Editor, the EIC will collaborate with production, engineering and design to structure an editorial product that stands out against the competition. This position will also involve regular public appearances and interviews.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a difference at a pivotal point in the site’s history. We need an exceptional editorial leader to help us accomplish our goals.
– Improve Wired News’ reporting, writing and editing.
– Work with all reporters and editors to craft and maintain editorial vision and direction.
– Supervise the Managing Editor, Copy Chief and Content Editors.
– Attract new, talented writers.
– Oversee the editorial budget.
– Assist in Wired News’ PR, including speaking at professional gatherings and appearing on interviews.
– Maintain and develop high-level relationships outside the company.
– The ideal candidate will have at least 10 years’ experience in journalism (emphasis on daily news), with at least 5 years’ proven track record managing editorial teams.
– Must have the ability to forge a vision and direction from diverse and sometimes competing input, and motivate the team behind that vision.
– Proven success leading cross-functional teams (editorial, engineering, design) toward common goals. Diplomacy is a must.
– Solid knowledge of all kinds of technology, business, culture and politics.
– Sound editorial judgment, with the ability to immediately recognize a “Wired story” from the pack.
– Solid familiarity with models for original-content media, with the proven ability to craft award-winning editorial products.
– Understanding of how editorial excellence and business goals intersect, and how each can help the other while keeping the firewall intact.
– Experience in a variety of media — internet, print and broadcast — is a plus.
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Be sure to put Editor in Chief in the subject line.