30 Comments

Summary:

Iceland’s citizens were given a chance to help forge a new constitution for their country through Facebook and Twitter, so it’s not surprising that they backed the resulting draft. Now it’s over to the politicians.

Geothermal power in Iceland

A constitution is a deeply serious thing: the bedrock of a country’s identity. So Iceland’s decision to let the general populace participate in the drafting of its new constitution – via social media such as Facebook and Twitter – was a bold move.

And it seems to be paying off. On Saturday the country held a referendum asking voters six questions about the draft, the first of which was whether they wanted to go ahead with using it as the basis for their new constitution. Two thirds voted yes.

Which makes sense, if you think about it. Give the people a chance to feed into the drafting, taking advantage of the internet’s convenience and low barriers, and they’ll stand behind the result.

Out of the ashes

Here’s a quick run-down of the background to all this. Iceland’s banking system collapsed right at the start of the financial crisis, taking the country’s government with it. The new leadership decided to go the open route, not least because secretive dealings were largely to blame for the banking fiasco.

There were two technologically interesting spinoffs of this situation. One was the creation of the Modern Media Initiative (now the International Modern Media Institute), a Wikileaks-inspired free speech drive – the idea here is to turn Iceland into an haven for free speech by inviting media organizations from around the world to host their sites in Iceland’s green data centers and enjoy the country’s strong new protections for whistleblowers and the like.

The other was the constitutional crowdsourcing. Iceland’s old constitution was based on that of former master Denmark and was seen as out-of-date, so 25 citizens were brought into into a Constitutional Council to help create a new one. The council took the ideas raised online by their fellow citizens and delivered the resulting draft in July last year. It took a while to ask the voting public at large what it thought of the result, but Iceland now has its answer to that question.

According to reports, nearly half of Iceland’s 235,000 eligible voters took part in the referendum, and 66 percent of those people said they wanted the new official constitution to be based on the crowdsourced draft.

But that result is non-binding, and the parliament now has to decide whether or not it’s going to turn the draft into reality.

As in the case of Finland’s crowdsourced laws, elected representatives are given the final say over proposals made online. In a representative democracy, that’s pretty much how things should work – if you elect people to represent you, you’re entrusting them with doing just that.

The important thing in both the Icelandic and Finnish cases is that technology is being used to give more normal people a say, while ensuring that the politicians are forced to listen and cannot just sweep popular proposals under the carpet. Because the clever thing with crowdsourcing is that the proposals are public and open and impossible to ignore.

Now it’s up to the Icelandic parliament to show it’s taking this process seriously. We won’t have long to wait to see whether or not this is the case: the constitution is supposed to be finalized before the next election, in the spring of 2013.

You’re subscribed! If you like, you can update your settings

  1. makes me want to move there

    1. They completely threw away a chance to change the world.
      How about these rules for the politicians.
      Every candidate must submit to a drug test and be tested at random times during her/his time in office.
      Is 4 tmes a year too much for representatives who.
      With the stroke of a pen can start wars or put the people into unpayable debt?
      Every candidate must write down what he/she will and will not do while in office.
      Any deviation from what they wrote and they are fired immediately.
      Also the section on international law superseding Icelands law!!
      What if international law says you must bail out banks or no country can have a constitution!
      It would make all this pretty pointless wouldn’t it.
      Its a constitution that results in Iceland losing its sovereignty.

      1. Can people please get over this fascination with drug tests? effing really?

        Seems to me like they did a fairly good job at changing their world.

      2. To Mr Edward Muenzenberger
        Hi ,thanks for the reply
        Good job, taking on All that I was saying. As for the drug testing. We do have that politician instilled 40 year drug war thing. So its my little goose/gander moment. The new… politicians would all fail the drug tests and be fired dream. But seriously they always do the exact opposite of what any sane person would do.
        Spend some time watch. george carlin the last HBO ones, He died a couple years ago and was glad to go. bill hicks, fknnewz, larken rose, they said all that needs to be said on the drug issues. Then they explained how our relationship with the political class really works. you tube it.

    2. read it
      its totalitarian, one sided, and crap. Plus the people didn’t even know they were voting on it.

  2. me too! Belgian politicians suck

  3. You should come to the U.S if you think your countries politicians suck…

    1. same here in britain with cameron the priminister

  4. The majority of constitutions in the world guarantee freedom of speech. In reality, very few countries do. Thus, its not just what goes into the constitution that matters.

    Its the system of checks and balances, the respect for those balances and institutions, that get created by the citizens to manage the overwhelming historically validated trend for governments to only want to increase their power over citizenry that matters.

    Icelandic constitution is full of contradictory notions that will ultimately leave it to the Althingi to resolve the balance between citizen right’s and what they can be compelled to do by the government. Their constitution is not the ending and savior of their rights, but barely the beginning.

    I wish all Icelanders good luck. The price of freedom and liberty is vigilance.

    1. Ah so looks like they did a poor job and did not do the “consequentials” properly Amateuers :-)

    2. Yes and it says the governments own rules are not subject to change but the citizens rights all are… by law. So the government just has to make a law that says the citizens have no rights.
      Effective in 10 days and any citizen that brings a referendum against the government shall be shot within 30 days. That is the law until the hearing on the referendum. Which takes two years. When the citizen fails to appear due to death, well to bad. Even if you were to live and show up and win. Not likely. Then the government gets to decide how you win!
      read it …thats what it says

  5. The first link actually points to the current constitution. Here is the PDF for the new proposed bill http://stjornlagarad.is/other_files/stjornlagarad/Frumvarp-enska.pdf

    1. Thanks for the tip – fixed!

  6. The fishing rocks! Use big weighted flies and the wind still better be behind you.

  7. Even if 90% agree to the terms of their enslavement using trendy technology, it’s still slavery for the other 10%. They should’ve read No Treason:
    http://biosocket.com/no-treason-the-constitution-of-no-authority/

  8. Even if 90% of the people agreed to the terms of their enslavement, it’s still slavery for the other 10%. Using trendy technology doesn’t change anything. They should’ve read No Treason – http://biosocket.com/no-treason-the-constitution-of-no-authority/

    1. Very good. The whole social contract…they change the rules and we get oppressed thing. Well it sucks.

  9. Vincent Josphe Lavery Tuesday, October 23, 2012

    Sounds like a brilliant idea, that’s exactly what we need more of, good luck to you Icelandic citizens!

    1. read it
      sounds like is… well dumb and uninformed.
      thanks

  10. Vincent Josphe Lavery Tuesday, October 23, 2012

    Sounds like a brilliant idea, I wish that the Irish would take some guidance from you, good luck!

Comments have been disabled for this post