In the year since we launched our inaugural data event, big data has gone through major changes. Data science is no longer something mysterious and out of reach; it’s something that your company is probably putting to use right now (or trying to figure out how to).
Today, at Structure:Data, we’ll look at how companies are transforming their businesses through big data, as well as the latest developments in the tools and technologies.
Our free livestream of the event, sponsored by Thawte and Sybase, begins at 8:25 a.m. ET on Wednesday, March 21 and at 8:55 a.m. ET on Thursday, March 22.
We will be blogging the onstage sessions throughout both days and including all the links in this post. Please join the conversation on Twitter (use the #dataconf hashtag and follow @dataconf).
Live-blogged stories from the event
Wednesday, March 21
- The next big data challenge: More data, more speed, more, more…
- The beauty of machine learning? It never stops learning
- Google’s BigQuery: making data insights faster
- Cloud lets small businesses catch up on big data
- Ex-CIA director: The smart grid needs to wake up to security
- Lots of data is great, but knowing how to get value is better
- Social: the new silo-busting tool for business
- Data analysis: It’s like a puzzle that someone messed with
- EMC plan: Let Pivotal be Pivotal
- How do you cram 1 trillion rows in a spreadsheet?
- How Allstate uses data to calculate your premiums
- How to make data digestable for non-techies
- Cloudera CEO: Come to me with apps, I’ll get you money
- Filtering the digital exhaust
- How data mining leads to loans for the underbanked
- How humans & machines can team up to solve big problems
- Mo’ data mo’ problems: The future of the data center
- Big data: Like Moneyball for your business
- Machine data is for people too
Thursday, March 22
- Big data allows your employer to be big brother
- Is the debate over data and online privacy misguided?
- Hadoop’s new strategy: Pump data in to process, pull it out for privacy
- Can Lexis-Nexis build a Hadoop-killer?
- How to query Big Data quickly: Stream those queries!
- NASA-style data tools drive digital ad campaigns
- How big data can be used to improve and predict sales
- Why big data needs real-time intelligent systems
- How Wordnik moved its database to the cloud
- Why you’ll likely have your DNA sequenced in 5 years
- Never mind the hardware, it’s the algorithms
- Another big obstacle to exascale computing: resilience
- What big data really needs is security
- Flash, an option for big data performance?
- Mobile data a fascinating and scary opportunity
- The online future is personal, and that requires big data
- Eventbrite: Hadoop isn’t for everybody