What would New Year’s be without the traditional Times Square party? People in New York City have been watching the ball drop at midnight for more than a hundred years, and millions from all over the U.S. have been glued to their TV screens for decades to catch a glimpse of the action.
This year, the party is once again live streamed online as well, and mobile apps for Android and iOS come in handy if you don’t want to miss it while on the go.
Here’s how to watch the New Year’s celebration at Times Square live online and on your phone:
- The official Times Square live feed will once again be hosted by Livestream, and start on New Year’s Eve at 6 p.m. EST (3 p.m. PST).
- EarthCam will give you a bird’s-eye view of the party via Ustream. The webcam is live year-round, so feel free to drop in any time.
- EarthCam is also once again providing a 3-D feed of the party on its website.
- The Times Square New Year’s Eve Ball App for iOS not only offers you a live feed of the party, but even an option to upload your own face to be shown on the huge Toshiba big screen at Times Square.
- The Times Square Official Ball App for Android offers the same thing for your Android phone.
- Looking for an alternative to the action in New York? There are too many streams from parties around the world to list them all here, but I want to single out one for originality: Singer-songwriter Daria Musk is organizing a world-wide interactive party with live music via Google+ Hangouts. People can join in via her Google+ feed or simply watch the action unfold on her YouTube page.