Cleaning up text — by which I mean doing things like correcting erroneous capitalization, removing unnecessary spaces and removing duplicate entries — can be a laborious, time-consuming process. That’s when CleanHaven can help. It’s a free text cleanup assistant that has some powerful features.
Usage is straightforward: Just type or paste your text into the text box (there’s no limit on how much text you can clean), select which manipulations you’d like to perform and hit the “Clean” button. You can perform more than one manipulation at a time, so you can, for example, sort the text into an ascending list, remove extra spaces and correct case simultaneously.
Here’s a list of the available cleanup operations:
- Case. Correct the case of the text. Options include Sentence case, UPPERCASE, lowercase and Title Case.
- Sort. Sort the text. Options include ascending, descending, reverse and numerical value.
- Duplicates. Handles duplicate entries,. Options are: Remove duplicates, show only duplicates and show unique entries.
- Remove. Remove extraneous characters. You can remove excess spaces, tabs, linefeeds, returns, periods and more using this option.
- Personal. Handles personal info. Can convert email addresses into clickable URLs, add salutations to names, look up UK postcodes and more.
- Info. You can use this option to get information about the text, such as the number of words, characters and more. You can also chose to see only correctly spelled words or only incorrectly spelled words.
There’s also a find and replace feature available. The cleaned-up text is placed into a new window, which is handy as you can compare it with the original, and from there it’s just a matter of hitting the “Clipboard” button to place it in your clipboard.
CleannHaven is a very powerful tool. Even if you don’t do a lot of text cleanup, it’s a dull task that most people have to contend with from time to time, and for those situations CleanHaven is useful. It’s available to download for free for Windows, Mac and Linux.
What tricks do you use for cleaning up text?
Related GigaOM Pro content (sub. req.): Enabling the Web Work Revolution