In the span of just six months, e-books have gone from an interesting curiosity to what many think is the future, as well as the eventual cause of death for big publishing. No doubt, Apple’s iPad and a revamped Kindle lineup have accelerated the momentum of this large-scale shift towards digital publishing, as both the technology and publishing worlds watch consumers go from paper to digital at an eye-popping rate.
At GigaOM and GigaOM Pro, we thought it would be interesting to bring these two worlds together to talk about the impact of e-books on the publishing industry. We’ve invited some of the leading voices in e-books and publishing to GigaOM’s offices next Wednesday, Aug. 25 for our next GigaOM Pro bunker event entitled, “Author to Audience: Disintermediation in Publishing.”
What will we be discussing? Two major themes will drive the conversation:
- The Future Publishers: Who are the future publishers in the age of digital publishing?
- Book as a platform: How does the changing definition of what a book is impact the author, publisher and audience and create new opportunities for the industry.
We’ve assembled a wonderful lineup of speakers to share their views with the audience, including:
- Bradley Inman – CEO, Vook
- Trip Adler – CEO, Scribd
- Zeke Koch – Director of Product Management, Digital Publishing, Adobe
- Mark Coker – CEO, Smashwords
- Nathan Bransford – Agent, Curtis Brown
- Simon Wood – Anthony Award winning mystery author
- John Warren – Member of Board of Directors, Media & Policy Center Foundation & Marketing Director, RAND Corporation Publications
If you would like to attend, we have a few remaining tickets left to this free event in San Francisco, so register now!. If you can’t make it to the event, GigaOM Pro subscribers can watch the live-stream or wait and catch the video archives, as well as the exclusive wrap-up analysis of the event by one of GigaOM Pro’s own analysts.