2 Comments

Summary:

Russia’s leading social network saw net profit grow nearly 10x last year, partly on growth in display ad sales, though it’s still pulling fa…

Red Square; Moscow
photo: Flickr / yeowatzup

Russia’s leading social network saw net profit grow nearly 10x last year, partly on growth in display ad sales, though it’s still pulling far less than western counterparts.

Odnoklassniki, the Facebook-like classmates site created in 2006, more than doubled revenue to 1.54 billion rubles ($48.6 million) from 2008, leading to 9.4 times higher net profit of 39 million rubles ($1.6 million, Vedomosti reports (via Quintura).

Quintura: “Odnoklassniki.ru generates revenues from display advertising, paid services, contextual links and social games. The leading Russian website social network, Odnoklassniki, which has 45 million registered accounts, attracts 10 million daily users.”

Digital Sky Technologies’ Forticom owns 60 percent of the network, with founder Albert Popkov and his wife the remaining 40 percent.

Let’s not bet against DST, which this month bought from Naspers the remaining stake in Mail.ru that it did not own, trying to buy out Popkov now that Odnoklassniki.ru’s is ratcheting up.

  1. I guess Odnoklassniki is not the leading social network in Russia.
    Vkontakte.ru (vk.com) has much more registered users – approximately 80 millions, mailnly in Russia, Ukraine and other post-USSR countries.

    Share
  2. Katerina Zaporozhetz Tuesday, August 24, 2010

    Odnoklasniki absolutely sucks! I created a profile there few years ago, it was free, like Facebook, then they started charging for it and when I tried to log-in I was blocked and asked to pay $1.99. All I wanted was for them to restore my password, which I am sure was correct but stopped working. I am not sure why would I have to pay for that. Still, I never heard from them. I wrote several letters, help requests and such – nothing happened. I just tried to submit a help request again today. The site was working before I sent my email. Then I got a message that the site is unavailable.
    I don’t know what their problem is but the site is not working 99% of the time I try to log-in.
    I would never touch it if I knew that, now all I want is to remove my profile, but I can’t even do that since no one ever responds to any of my requests!!!

    Share

Comments have been disabled for this post