There’s a firmware update for the Sprint (s s) Overdrive that addresses some common complaints from some owners. Version 2.06.06 can be downloaded and installed directly from the Overdrive and has the following fixes:
- Improves device stability, eliminating all known freeze-ups and lock-ups.
- WiFi enhancements to improve WiFi stability and eliminate disconnects and crashes.
- Significant improvements in 3G and 4G WAN stability.
- Some improvement (~10%) in overall batter life and battery life in poor coverage.
- Faster boot-up time (~10-20 seconds faster).
- Improved response time when changing the WAN mode setting with no reboot required. Eliminates need for a device reset when changing modes such as “4G preferred” to “4G only”, “4G preferred” to “3G only”, etc.
- Faster response time after canceling an operation in the Advanced Settings screen (no device reset required and offline time decreased by ~90 seconds).
- Added additional 4G channels for future growth.
My Overdrive has been relatively trouble-free but I will appreciate the improvement in battery life and the faster boot time.
To get started updating the Overdrive visit http://overdrive from any browser on a computer connected to the Overdrive via Wi-Fi. Just check for updates and it will lead you through the update process. Those not comfortable with this update procedure can download it from the link above and apply it manually using instructions on that site.
Related research on GigaOM Pro (sub. req’d): To Win In the Mobile Market, Focus On Consumers