The road warrior is often confronted with leaving gear at home in order to keep the gear bag as light as possible. It can be a struggle to bring some gadgets along because they are too big and heavy to lug around on trips. Fujitsu understands that dilemma and has released a portable scanner that can come along for the ride with minimal fuss. The ScanSnap S1300 is not the first scanner to shrink in size but it may be the most versatile of all portable scanners that came before.
The ScanSnap S1300 is as small as can be while adding a multisheet feeder and full color duplex scanner to the mix. That’s right, this little scanner can scan both sides of a document with one pass, a rarity for a portable device. It uses a USB connection and works out of the box with both Windows and Mac computers. It is AC-powered, but can be operated with just the USB connection when an outlet isn’t handy.
Fujitsu includes utilities with the ScanSnap to handle most needs with ease:
- ScanSnap Organizer 4.1 (PC): Offers PC users a convenient way to store, manage and view PDF and JPEG files as well as perform post-scan editing, keyword entry and searchable PDF conversion.
- CardMinder 4.1 (PC): Provides PC users a fast way to capture both sides of a business card, extract the information automatically and export it to Outlook, Excel, Act! and other contact management software.
- Scan to Functions (PC): Offers PC users an easy way to scan to a folder, attach scans to an email, send scans to a printer, or scan to Microsoft SharePoint for ad-hoc efficiency.
- ScanSnap Manager (Mac and PC): Provides Mac and PC users one-button searchable PDF creation, access to intelligent features and custom scan settings (profiles) for simple operation with sophisticated results.
- Scan to Functions (Mac): Offers Mac users a flexible way to manage their PDF, searchable PDF and JPEG files. Users can save content to a folder, a network folder, iPhoto and even directly to their iDisk account.
- Cardiris 3.6 (Mac): Provides Mac users a convenient way to scan their business cards and export the contact information directly to Address Book or Entourage.
The ScanSnap can help the road warrior who is trying to maintain a paperless mobile office by capturing received documents on the fly to digital form. It weighs slightly over three pounds, lighter than most netbooks on the road. The MSRP is $295.